xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCanuck

Questions About Features Offered Requiring details about SMTP, mail(), IP blocking etc before signing u

We are an all-volunteer, start-up organization, just constructing our site now. We're currently using another free host, and have a number of problems, including:a. our current host has blocked certain IP addresses and words as a result of recent spam/phishing attacks. We get no notice of the words/sites blocked. What happens is that if our members post on our forum any of these links or words (paypal is one -- so we can't have a link on our site for fundraising -- any banking or financial site; the word "proxy", the list goes on ...), it blows the thread. b. related to the above, our host has disabled SMTP and mail(), so we can't send registration confirmations, lost password info, etc.c. we have only 1 dbase, limited to 10 mbSome questions!1) Do you block any IP addresses or words, like I've described above?2) How many dbases are included in pkg 2 (default), and what are the storage limits of these? Are there file upload limits?3) do you have SMTP and/or mail() for phpBB or both enabled?4) what's the uptime on your servers over past month, past year -- i've checked https://xisto.com/, but don't know where to look, exactly, for this info.Thanks for your help!

1) Do you block any IP addresses or words, like I've described above?

Xisto Corporation and Xisto do not block any IP addresses unless the IP address launch attacks on our servers. Your hosting account is yours under the management of Xisto Corporation. Therefore, you can do whatever you want with your hosting as long as it is under Xisto hosting rules. Please refer to Xisto Readme.

2) How many dbases are included in pkg 2 (default), and what are the storage limits of these? Are there file upload limits?

Xisto offers unlimited database with unrestricted database size. File upload limit is depend on your package plan and monthly bandwidth limit. If you have plan 2, the maximum file size to upload is 150mb and bandwidth of 5GB.

3) do you have SMTP and/or mail() for phpBB or both enabled?

Both email systems are enabled and you can take full advantage of those services. However, the first sign of spam or reported spam from your site, the server admins will terminate your account and will not grant a second chance.

4) what's the uptime on your servers over past month, past year -- i've checked https://xisto.com/, but don't know where to look, exactly, for this info.

The server uptime isn't recorded, however, HTTP has been up 100% in the past month, MySQL was down only for 3 hours and the last server reboot was 65 days 7 minutes at the time of this post. If your website depends on database, SQL down time will effect your uptime.
Please refer to Xisto Readme (my signature) and live server condition at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Network Status.

One question:Are we allowed using a proxy site/server to visit the Xisto website (cPanel/forum)?

I'm sorry, one point I forgot to address. No absolutely not, never! All known proxy site's IP address have been logged and when found it will be investigated with habitual "usage" of a proxy IP address. When a member is found to use proxy IP frequently a member will be asked not to use it. This can lead to a single member having multiple hosting accounts, which is against Xisto hosting rules.

Furthermore, you cannot host/run/conduct/provide any proxy service using Xisto services. This calls for immediate account termination and will not be allowed to be hosted by Xisto again. You will be banned from all Xisto Corporation hosting services.

Just a brief mention about hosting termination: in the past I have terminated 4 account due to two member using proxy service to own accounts. If there's anyone out there thinks he/she is getting away with multiple hosting account I urge you now to stop immediately. There are ways to be tripped and be caught. But I would like to think that everyone is honest around here. If you need more space please visit Xisto - Web Hosting.com.