xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Prox

Basic Steps In Speeding Up Your Computer The basic steps for people who dont know a lot about PCs.

1.) Add or Remove Programs
Start >> Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs
Remove anything that you don't use or know the name of.

2.) Virus & Spyware Scanning
Download "Spybot Search and Destroy":
https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors24/
Run it and Search, Destroy, and Immunize your system.

3.) MSCONFIG
Start >> Run >> Type 'msconfig' >> Go to Startup
Uncheck any items that you don't know the name of or you don't use EVERY time your computer starts. This isn't deleting these files. Example: Uncheck AIM. Now aim won't run EVERY time your computer starts up, making the startup about 20 seconds faster (those seconds add up!), But you can still go on AIM WHENEVER you want by going to start>> programs>>AOL Instant Messenger. Make sure not to uncheck anything that has to do with your mouse like "Logitech" or your monitor, keyboard, graphics, or sound card brand.

4.) Hard-Drive Disk Cleanup
My Computer>>Right Click on C:/ or "Local Disk">>Properties>>Disk Cleanup
Go through the loading bar, then select the tasks you would like Disk Cleanup to delete. Most of them are old Temporary files that you don't need, but if you plan on keeping anything in your Recycle Bin, just uncheck Recycle Bin! :)

First off all this could have been posted in the Tutorial section.Second..there is a way easier way of doing everything stated above plus a hell of a lot more to speed up your PC.Get Tune-up Utilities 2006. It is the best software that I?m come across.It contains everything* System Control = use it to control the look and feel of windows* Start-up Manager = You don?t need to open msconfig, you can use this* System Information = Collects everything about your pc and provide it easy to read format* Disk Cleaner = Removes junk data from your hard disk* Registry Cleaner = Cleans your registry* MemOptimizer = Optimizes free memory in the background* Registry Defrag = Corrects Physical errors in registry* System optimizer = Optimizes your system and internet* Process Manager = Tune-up version of it* Registry Editor = Tune-up version of it* Uninstall Manager = Tune-up version of it, with extra features* Tune-up Shredder = Deletes Files permanently (including registry)* Undelete = recovers deleted files (from registry)But there is a catch, you have to pay for this software. I got it and it is the best, you can get it from the local Software retailer. Also i recommend Zone Labs Security Suite, very useful. A great firewall, sometimes helps boost Computer speed.

To improve performance and speed of your computer there is a few great how to guides at pcstats.com called 99 Performance Tips and 101 Performance Tips. They work great and drastically improve performance.

Well if you want to keep your computer performance stay at top, first you must know 1. how many RAM do you have?2. Did you Install too many programs on your PC?If you have only 128 MB of RAM and running windows XP, I recommend you to use Windows Classic style, it save much RAM as I know. And close your program in system tray that seem did not important programs!. you may also close some WIndows feature such as Automatic Updates if you didnt use it!.Finally, Install only program that you need! :D

The last is the best :

Finally, Install only program that you need!

Thats the reason why computers are getting slow (even the new ones), but no one seems to do somthing about it. If you are installing programs on it, and afterwards removeing it. and so on.
The registry file gets bigger and bigger (but when you remove a program it stays big).
At startup the complete registry file gets load loaded so your startup goes slower and slower.
Nothing better then reinstall your windows from time to time, and then install only the programs that you need. But my advice for 128MB is buy some memory upgrade if possible , for windows XP I should suggest at least 256MB (better even 512MB)

Another tool to help for a faster startup is bootvis ( a tool provided by microsoft), I have never used it but some people are saying it helps.

If you want to truely speed up your computer, by more RAM or a new CPU (Make sure you get the socket right). If you want t clean up your computer and optimize its settings go through disk clean up, disk defrag etc.

Another way to improve system speed.Some people delete files in thier hard drivewithout first Un-installing them. Thiscan clog up the registry and make the computerrun slower.Try going to Control Panel (can be found instart menu), Add and Remove Programs, andthen change/remove any old programs that youdont use anymore.