xisto Community
DarkPsycho

Make A Scan Bar In Imageready For users familiar with ImageReady

Ok here's how to make an animated scan line on any image :) using ImageReady:

1. First take out your image, make a new layer, and use the rectangle selection tool to make a recangle at the top, and then fill the rectangular selection with white.

Posted Image

2. Change the "rectangle layer" blending options to whatever effect you want (for this tutorial I will be using Difference). If you want to do soft light or overlay, you may want to change the layer color.

3. Next bring your image into ImageReady using this button Posted Image .

4. If you do not see the animation panel:

Posted Image

you need to go into the Window -> check off animation, and it should appear.

5. Now from here on it is a lot of clicking and moving. You need to use the move tool Posted Image and click on the rectangle. Now use your up or down keyboard arrows to move the layer a pixel at a time, I recommend about 3-5 pixels per frame. To create a new frame click the new frame button in the animation panel Posted Image .

Posted Image

6. Now obviously the scan bar won't make itself go back up to the top of the image, so you have to do the same thing as before but make it go up. In the last frame the rectangle should be 3-5 pixels (depending on what you chose) from the top, this will prevent the bar from staying at the top for 2 frames.

7. Now go into File-> Save Optimized As and save it as a gif. You may use custom options if you wish, but default works for me :P . Here is my final product:

Posted Image

Wow, I was just going to go look for a tutorial on how to do this after I get done posting here on Xisto, lol. You just saved me some time, the tutorial looks nice and simple with a good result. I'll have to try it tonight and hopefully get a good ending result.

I have used this effect before. It is pretty useful sometimes. You can also do the same thing but instead make it a spot light that sort of roams around the signature. That's what I did once for a sig on another forum and won the SOTW there but that was over a year ago. Nice tutorial overall.

wow this one is pretty nice I like it.. some people dont like scan lines but I addore them <_<.. thanks for tut I will deffinatly use it sometimes :P..

Very nice indeed. I'm currently in the process of making a new signature for myself, and I think that this might be a nice after-effect to add in. Thank you for the great, simple to read, easy to follow tutorial.