xisto Community
wappy

Phpbb Customization? wappy is not so great with web scripts :-)

ok i feel a little silly posting this as im sure the answers are simple but im really not used to working with pre-made web scripts that have so many files:Q1. I have added a real cool army theme to my phpBB with a matching smiley set and its looking good, i also have the matching rank icons but where on earth do i upload them in the script?Q2. Which file in my template/style/script do i need to edit to place some extra links at the bottom of my index page, for example a link back to my main site or some link exchange links/web partners?

The smilies go into the /images directory - there should be a subdirectory under that called 'smilies' or something along those lines. To edit the footer, there should a template called something like 'footer.tpl' or 'body_footer.tpl' or 'overall_footer.tpl' or anything containing 'footer' - just have a sniff around the template's directory and you should find it. I haven't played with phpBB for quite a while, so that's just from vague memory.

no you miss understand. I have installed my style, and my smiles but i have from phpbb.com also downloaded rank images that match my theme but cant work out where to place them./but thanks for your suggestion about the footer pages i will look later :-)

Rank images go into /templates/TEMPLATE NAME/images/ranks/. In the admin panel unser Styles there is a Header and Footer option to add a custom header and footer (this is using PhpBBFM, so it may not be on a default PhpBB install). That's the best way to edit it rather than in the code, as there is less chance of wrecking something :)

w00t @post above?Thanks cynic big help. But can you tell me whats this version of phpbb you have? Is it a paid copy or something? Interesting..

but what is phpBBFM? an no my copy has no options in admin/styles to edit this only colours it seems unless im being dumb. I manually edited the simple_footer file but it still seems to show the old footer without the ranking advert i placed there? Maybe its my phone being strange but i don't think so. After editing this file do i need to reinstall the theme or should it just work? Mmm now i remember why i don't like using other peoples scripts.---eurika!Ok you can upload the custom rank images ANYWHERE.I uploaded mine to templates/mytemplate/rank/Then you must go into the admin panel and add the ranks, when you install the script the only rank is "site admin", edit that one and put the url for the special admin rank image in the box, then create a special moderator rank and add the url for that rank image.Then install the other ranks as standard ranks with a minimum posts for each rank like Rank 1 i set at 25 posts, and Rank 2 i set at 50 posts. Ah ha :)

Edited by wappy (see edit history)