xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bkag

Wifi Help With Wep Keys Im not sure this can be done

Ok im in a rental house on the beach and there is free wifi, the problem is that it has a WEP key and we cannot find out what it is, on the wifi router (a lynksis wireless g 2.4 ghz router" there is an output broadband cable so i was wondering; is there anyway using that cable for me to remove or change the WEP key? Thanks

Obtaining WEP key without the permission of the router/access owner is considered "hacking." Therefore the pursuit of that area shall not continue since it violates Xisto forum rules.Follow lemonwonder's advice and request for your WEP key form the signal's owner.

No we have talked to the owners but they don't know the key they thought they left it here but it doesnt seem to be here, we have permission to atleast try it, if we cant do it then we have to call out the company who installed it for them and hope they have the key on record.

Depending on how many others are using this WiFi signal, you can access the router/access point and reinstall, reissue the WEP key then. And thereafter you can notify all users of this WiFi signal and have them change the WEP key.Since you'll have the signal owner's permission you can help him/her to access the device and reset, reissue or regenerate the WEP key. It's as simple as that.

Ok well i have found the manual and software so im following the reinstall instructions thanks anyway

Nomaly, if they have setup a WEP , the have also protected the router with a password.
(At least I do that everytime).

The only thing you can do is then pressing the restore button on the router, but then all connection settings are gone also, that maybe a problem if they use xDSL (where a password is needed to connect).

Before you change anything check if you can take a backup of the router data, so you can place the data back original in case of problems.