xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
neuspadrin

Who Uses Gentoo Linux Distro

Just curious, how many Gentoo Linux'ers out there?I plan on switching over to Gentoo in a few days (once new harddrive arrives). I still wanted my windows for games (LAN parties, just having fun in general) so I just bought a second harddrive and an external enclosure. Gentoo will be my main system, but ill have my other harddrive with windows on it whenever i feel like booting up windows for some high quality gaming time.I used gentoo on an old laptop of mine with an install a year ago or so, and so far its been my favorite distro Ive found. I dont really like the very easy distros that make everything easy. If i wanted easy id stay with windows :). I like having a operating system that sometimes requires some thinking on my part to know how to use it, and others need to know something to be able to use it. So yeh, was just wondering how many people used gentoo out there on this forum :P

Notice from mayank:
Edited topic title. Please note that topic title is exteremly important.

I have tried it, and it looks a little advanced for stupid little me. Sticking to 'buntus, and I quite like MEPIS, as well. I agree with what you say about ease of use, though I tend to preferr things that 'just work'. Not Windows.

I used to use Gentoo for several years back and it is still my favourite distro! It had all the configuration files in one place (/etc/conf.d) and almost every application was setup and running with just simple emerge command. Now with ubuntu I have to type php-mode everytime I want to edit a php file in emacs and for the java environment I had to move some stuff around manually. The only problem with gentoo is that it sometimes takes forever to get some things working and I don't really have time for that while studying for exams. That's the reason I switched to Ubuntu for now.

I tried installing gentoo and thats as far as i got. it was a pain. it was harder because i was installing it in vmware on an xp box. had some problems with the kernel modules for the scsi disks that vmware had set up. then i tried again using ide for vmware. went alot smoother. i guess the installation would of been easier if i had just generated a kernel using gen-kernel. but i was going for the geek feel of compiling a custom kernel for my system. one i get a new hard disk for my lap top (old ibm thinkpad, the hdd is burnt out) i am going to give it another go and see how i do. besides gentoo the main two distros i have used have been ubuntu and slackware. also i dont know if you read some people are developing a gentoo distro with cell processor compatability so it can be ran on Playstation 3. that seems pretty cool.