xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shengeta

2nd Domain Name

This is a question that can be for Xisto hosted sites as well, but since I'm not a hosted member of Xisto anymore and now a Xisto - Web Hosting member I will ask it here.

I have a domain name set to the name servers ns1.computinghost.com and the ns2 one, this is my 1st Domain name so everything on my site is like mysite.com with all the subdirectories etc.

Well I bought 2 new Domain names and pointed them to the same name servers and I've tried tons of things but I can't them to work the way I want them to work.

Replacing my real domain names will be:
original domain name: mysite.com
2nd domain name: mysite2.com
3rd domain name: mysite3.com

I want something like this: mysite.com/forums = mysite2.com. I at least got mysite2.com to redirect to mysite.com/forums but I want the forums to say mysite2.com instead of mysite.com/forums.

Is there a way to get everything to work like this in the cpanel? Do I HAVE to use the harder method: mod_rewrite in a .htaccess file in my root folder? If so what is the code I would have to write?

Once I can do this I will do the same with mysite3.com to another area of my site.

EDIT: Nevermind i fixed it. Here is what I did. I parked the domain, mysite2. Mysite2 would be the same as mysite so I had to change the .htaccessfile in the www/ directory so it includes:

RewriteEngine OnOptions +FollowSymlinksRewriteBase /RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.* RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/subdir/RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /subdir/$1RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.*RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/subdir/RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /subdir/$1

Repacing the word "domain" saying "mysite2" and the word "subdir" with forums. Then I went to the global conf in the forums to make sure all links are written as mysite2.com. Using mysite.com/forums can still work though.
Edited by Shengeta (see edit history)

No that isn't it, I already have that redirection set up. People type in mysite2.com and it goes to mysite.com/forums, but the URL bar says mysite.com/forums instead of mysite2.com. Why buy spend money on a domain name when it isn't even displayed?

problem resolved as per topic author's EDIT remarks. thread closed.