xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OmegaLord

Errors,errors,errors!

Sometimes I keep getting the same errors when i open a program. I get an error like : {Insert Program Name} has done an illegal operation and is now being shutting down. i dont know wut that means and y it keeps doing this but it keeps happening and its driving me insane!!!!!

A couple of ideas here:Do a Virus scan to eliminate that possibilityDo a scandisk and a Defrag of your Harddrives. That'll get things running more efficiently.Do a Registry Cleaning.Clean out your cookie bin.At least these are some tasks that may help to resolve your problem and they will also reduce the load on your system.You don't mention what system you are running and also, is it always the same program which crashes on you? Have you been in contact with the Service people for the Software which is crashing?

I used to have that all the time. Since that message appears in Windows 95/98 (not sure about NT/2000). In Windows XP it is:

<Program Name> has encountered an error and needs to be shut down. Please send error report to Microsoft...

I suggest you do the following:

1. Reboot your computer.

2. Spyware scan.

3. Virus scan.

4. Go to Start > Run. Type in COMMAND. In the prompt line, type "scandisk C:". Fix any errors. If it is okay, do a ScanDisk SectorCheck as well.

5. Remember to update the software and to update Windows.

6. Go to Start > Run. Type in COMMAND. In the prompt line, type "defrag". Choose Drive C (if the program is on Drive C) and defragment it.

7. Click Start > Run. Type in "cleanmgr". Clean up anything that you DON'T need. For more powerful cleaning use CCleaner.

8. Do a Windows Live Safety Scan for Tune Up and Clean Up. That will help clean your registry more.

9. If all fails, either contact the program vendor (as it says) or get a replacement program, preferably at Download.com.

Hope these tips help. The most important things are listed in BOLD. It is essential to complete those.

Depending on what program is getting the error, you might want to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. Maybe some files were missing or the registry was damaged or something.

Also look in Event Log -> Application and Event Log -> System for more errors, or some more information about the errors.Launch Event Log : Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc

There are a few things you need to remember when troubleshooting problems like this.What app are you running? When does it happen?What other apps are running when this happens?Does it happen in safe mode?Does it do the same thing on another PC?What hardware does this machine have?USB Devices?etc etc etc.Just remember this simple thought when trying to solve computer issues.If it happens the same way every time, it is software.If it happens differently or randomly, it is hardware or a connection to a hardware device.