xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
finaldesign

Technically Speaking: Usb Or Firewire? Whats better choice?

What's better choice? USB 2.0 or FIREWIRE?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to my experience, USB 2.0 and Firewire had basicly same speed while transfering files.. but is it really near the same? If you have some experience, help me out to choose which is better? And which of this two technology's will survive on the market?

My vote also goes for USB... And the fact that I don't have frewire has nothing to do with it :):D

Although USB 2.0 is compatible with almost everything, Firewire is still 10X faster than USB. You may even not notice it, but the data it sends is clearer than USB (per second). Especially when you look at digital camera.xboxrulz

USB2.0 has nothing on firewire, altho it was SUPPOSED to beable to transfer at up to 480Mbits/s it well, just doesnt ever hit its peak allowing firewire to completely own it. Altho yes the aptley named USB (universal serial bus) is the universal standard for hardware but most DV cams like to use firewire because it allows for faster transfer and less compression.

I don't use neither so I can't tell from first hand, but they are good for different things. USB can send a 500mA current to the device so small things can get power directly from the USB line, I dunno if firewire can do that... also USB can power off your device for standby etc...

i always prefer USB, first reason is, that almost every computer is compatible with, uSB whether it is old or the new one, although firewire is greatly fast, only the new computer or notebook provide port for firewire... that is it, physically, i like USB

U know brother, USB, expecialy 2.0 is the man. Because it is cheap. U can buy USB 2.0 PCI card with 5 usb slots for just about 6 EURO, and speed is enogh...Today evry camera, mp3 player, printer, scanner, wireless card, irda, and other fancy things support usb, and are usb ready...so u can use it on PC, on MAC, on linux, on unix...USB is standard today even for hard disks....U can even have wireless USB card in desktop computer and mobile 160 GB disk in box with wireless card and u can transfer data on high speed without cable ;)54MBs, u have wireless storage that is going with u everywhere u go ;)it is not like ethernet, ...but works :P the thing i'am talking about is i bought USB DWL-122 that is going with me in my pocket...