xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Flexibility

Does anyone here care for flexibility? When I ask this does anyone train in any sports that require a certain amount of flexibility, or just care for a certain amount of flexibilty? As I am a Martial Artist I do focus a lot of time on it as it is an area I enjoy. If you do a lot of stretching then what is your routine?Mine is as follows:MONDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) PM ? Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm upIsometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductorsI also have training so I do 15-20 minutes of stretching with everyone else then as wellTUESDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)PM ? Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) Relaxed Stretching (Normal stretch comprising basically of just sliding into the stretch position and holding for 30 secs) I do 3 sets each of two different stretches for Hams, adductors and Quads. WEDNESDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches PM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm upRelaxed stretches (the same as for Tuesday) I also do my class again today and some technique training. THURSDAY: Same as MondayFRIDAY: OFF General warm-up i.e. skipping, dynamic stretchesSpecific warm-up roundhouse kicksMain part; kicking (a variety of different kicks)Cool down: relaxed stretches SATURDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches PM - Isometric Stretches (same as for Monday)SUNDAY: OFF (day of rest)

Flexibility is extremely important. Most people these days think: muscle, muscle, MUSCLE. Flexibility is just as important. You need it to help you grow, keep fit, and help your muscles stretch and things. Flexibility also helps your muscles swell out and become stronger.

I would say that flexibility is more important than muscles. It's great to be strong but unflexible people get hurt a lot. And in sports (besides weight lifting) you need to be able to take bodily punishment and be able to make cut moves and be fast. With muscles alone you might be able to hold your ground but if you get twisted or need to move to do something someone weaker that has great agility will be better.cough and i love my flexible girlfriend cough