xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Stem Cell Research - Yea Or Nay Discussion on Stem Cell Research

So as many of you may have heard, GW Bush just vetoed a bill that would have loosened the ban on funding stem cell research involving human embryos in the US. I'm curious if this aversion to stem cell research is really that wide spread. Is it an opinion held mostly by conservatives or is it equally distributed? Should it be funded by the government? I want to know what you people think. Please don't post if you don't know what a stem cell is. Also, this is NOT a discussion of abortion... so don't even start. I think most people on these forums who know me can guess where I fall. I'm in favor of it. I feel it is an integral part of the future of biotechnology. Keeping an entire nation of scientists from doing this research is ridiculous.

I'm glad that two of the three bills are being supported by President Bush. The research aids people who have suffered from deadly diseases or life threatening accidents. Im not to particular appalled by the fact one of them is considered close to abortion, but since you requested not to talk about that, I wont.

But i would love to see some serious head way made to help people who suffer from diseases like HIV/AIDs. I've lost two of my good friends to this. One didnt know she was infect, and didnt find out untill they were married. I shouldn't have to tell people that its hard watching that.

I'm Pro Stem-Cell Research!

Now, lets find them cures, y'all.

I will say yes undoubtedly. In my field of studies, mesenchymal stem cells, what we call MSCs in short, are proving to be very promising in many treatment, from bone grafting to tissue regeneration. I think stem cells will rule the biomedical field in years to come. To clear away all the hurdles to researches is imperative, those countries who restrict researches in this field will lose their competitive edges soon. Stem cells are like computers, you cannot survive in the modern world without it.

I am for stem cell research, but I am conflicted about this issue. The reason that I am conflicted is not because I do not support government funding for stem cell research, but because I worry that the government might use the results of such research not to help the people that really need treatments, but rather instead for ulterior motives. Such as for corporate gain or military applications.At the same time I worry that humanity has been losing their morality at too great a rate. The results of humans losing morality results in the creation of unwanted fetuses which are then used for stem cell research. The government should not use stem cell research as a scapegoat for society's problems, but instead should target society itself which is losing its values and creating children that no one cares about. If the government really cared about the children, they would create an awareness campaign to educate the public about the importance of life and try to get rid of people's own sins, instead of blaming science for the problems of a society that often ignores the deaths of innocents in favor of the bottom line.

Edited by iancovenant (see edit history)