xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gpinvest

Svchost Is Normal Have More Of 1 In Process On Xp?

I guess it is usual to have more than one svchost.exe processes running on your computer at the same time. But if one of these (or several) of these processes start hogging more and more of your memory, then I guess you'll have to worry.

Otherwise, it's just fine.

Not a problem. Also, regularly run TaskManager and check on the status of svchost.exe, specially if you're connected on a network or connected to the internet. It should not be using much on CPU usage.

svchost.exe is the most common disguise for viruses or other malicious programs, since users usually have several svchost.exe's running in their system. The least you could do if you (or anybody else) suspect of strange behaviour related to this process is checking under which User Name they are running. "SYSTEM", "LOCAL SERVICE" and "NETWORK SERVICE" are acceptable and regular User Names for svchost.exe. If you have one svchost.exe running under "YOURUSERNAME" (started by you) then it's more likely a reason for you to be worried, unless you had really started a svchost.exe by your own.Just a little more info. RegardsPS (just a side note): I currently have 14 svchost.exe's running in my system (Vista 5384) (including hidden processes) and none of them is using any CPU at all. In XP I had less than half.. must be normal.

My system XP SP2 has 5 Svchost.exe running. But one svchost.exe running as a NETWORK SERVICE consumes more memory than other process. Is this due to any virus. Please help me.

How much memory is it consuming btw? Maybe a NETWORK SERVICE svchost.exe process consumes more memory when there is activity related to network.Right now, the highest memory consuming svchost.exe that I have running in my system is one running under the UserName SERVICE and it's consuming roughly 38MB.

my svchost.exe has the insane obsession with consuming all of my CPU at times during the day, that and taking like 50megs of ram. Ive checked it with process explorer and it looks normal...just gets annoying...anyone got any help with that?also when i end that process, it like resets the visual style of windows for a bit, looks like win2000 for a while.-eternal