xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Madkat-Z

Cd/dvd Drives Not Reconized

Ok, I hate to add to the many boards about CD Drives, but I have a major issue with a friend of mines computer. Ok, the problem is the DVD and the CD Disk Drives are not showing up, at least properly. She just recently had to get her power supply replaced, because we believed a surge got threw her surge protector and fried it. I'm wondering if that would of effected the DVD and CD Drivers.What is showing up is not the CD and DVD drivers but some other stuff. To me it looks like that the computer may be recognizing the CD and DVD drives as External Hard Drives and not CD and DVD Disk Drives. We have no external hard drives hooked up to the computer, but it is showing that we do have external hard drives and when we click on them it says "Please Insert Disk into so and so Drive". We put a disk in said drive and it doesn't recognize the disk at all and still claims there is no Disk in the drive.I've attached a screen shot of her computer screen. She only has 2 Disk Drives and she has nothing else attached to the computer that would cause those four unknown things (J:, I:, H:, G:) to showing up. We are planning to take it back to the repair shop tomorrow and I'm just wondering if I should try something before we do. :ph34r: Next thing I'm wondering if anyone would know what usbcrft.sys thing would be? When I went looking threw the drivers to see if any of them had been changed, that was the only driver that had been changed recently. Actually it was changed when we started up the computer, so I'm wondering if I should be worried about that or not. :( I would list the CD/DVD Drives information, but because they are not showing up properly I can not find the information on them. However I do know the computer model. Medion M3 Composer 5300 and yes I've already checked (or at least tried to) their site for information and I have come up with nothing. <_<

Edited by Madkat-Z (see edit history)

I have a similar 4 drives appear on my PC, although they are permanent. They are for a 4-in-one card reader mounted on the front of the PC. It seems that your CD drive is loading the wrong or corrupt drivers. If you go into Device Manager have a look and see if a card reader or something appears there, if it does try the Rollback Drivers option and see if that works. If you can find your CD and DVD drives in there, then try and reinstall the drivers, which you can normally download from the manufacturer's website.usbcrft.sys stands for USB Card Reader Filter, so this is related to the problem. I would make a random guess that the drivers for your CD and DVD drives have been lost or corrupted, and Microsoft has programmed WIndows to make a not-so-clever guess that they are card readers.

*carefully inspects tower* Where did those come from O.o Anyway, I've already tried to roll back the drivers with no success, they only have an updated version of the drivers on the site and they can't update, because I think the drivers are missing. I'm going to see if there's a way to do a system restore with out using the disk (if there is such a thing) because the drivers are on the disks that came with the computer, which is kind of pointless since the problem is the Disk drives are not working. There is nothing I can do its back to the repair store. Since its covered and well not be charged.EDIT: Ok, problem has been solved. It turns out a wire inside the computer had come loose when they fixed the Power Supply. Its working now. <_<

Edited by Madkat-Z (see edit history)