xisto Community
BooZker

Remote Assistance Problem Wont work

I have tried tons of times and i can not get it too work. I did't even know about this until Paul from Trap 17 used it to help me with something on my site. Whenever i try it, it never connects. I have tried all three ways. Email, MSN, and download the file and send it. Both computers are connected to the internet. On microsoft's site they have a lot of people with the same problem, but no one ever helps with it. They are all unanswered.Paul: If you read this i know you know how to do it.

I have tried tons of times and i can not get it too work. I did't even know about this until Paul from Trap 17 used it to help me with something on my site. Whenever i try it, it never connects. I have tried all three ways. Email, MSN, and download the file and send it. Both computers are connected to the internet. On microsoft's site they have a lot of people with the same problem, but no one ever helps with it. They are all unanswered.
Paul: If you read this i know you know how to do it.

You can check the following things.

- Is Windows Messenger (part of Windows XP) still on your computer ?
- Does your firewall allow you to connect to the other site, or accept an incoming request ?
- Remote Assistance must be enabled on your computer (Control Pannel / System ).

Could you check these thing on both computers ?
An other option is use VNC (this can be downloaded free and is easy to connect). https://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc//
You just need the other side IP adress to connect
Install this program on both computers.
One computer must be running the server, the other the client.
The client tries to connect to the server by its IP adress.
This can all be done while you are in contact with MSN Messenger.

Windows messenger is installedI turned off the firewall just to see and nothing happened. Still the same.And it is enabled.Ill try to make sure all those things are the same on the other computers though. Thanks, but i don't want to install another program, because i wanted to know how to help people with there problems on there windows XP easy. If they have to install stuff then its not "easy" anymore.Thanks though.

Yea there is a bunch of problems that have been happening with that thing, i would just recommend using a program called netmeeting. It is the one i have always used and i have never had a problem with it. I know how you feel though i am a computer tech at General Motors and i i get people with the samething i just tell them to use netmeeting.

You would think microsoft wouldnt make it so hard to do it, or at least try not to make it so complicated.

My Remote Assistance works some times, then it doesn't work at all. Is it there something that needs to be turned off or on for it to work?

Remote Assistance connection

Remote Assistance Problem

Would someone please help me with this?

I am trying to help a friend through remote assistance. When I set it up, we were both staying at the same campground and were both on the same wireless router and it worked fine. My friend has moved to another state and when we try to connect, the following message appears:

Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you.

MSN Messup, not MSN Messenger...

Another piss-poor piece of Microsoft non-design, then. Why do they keep updating Windows Live Messenger for stupid crap like emoticons and superficial stuff, when they should be fixing their bugs and problems with the RDP instead?! Good thing I didn't pay for this software ;-)

-reply by Spent an hour on this already

Remote Assistance Problem - Won

Hi, I have two computers. When I try the remote assistance through Windows Messenger, it works. But when I want to remote assistance with my grandma in the Netherlands, it doesn't. Why, I tried everything there is on the internet. Please advice as soon as possible. Thanks!

Very much appreciated.

-question by Eduard

I was experiencing problems connecting to my mom's computer through remote assistance. Spent hours reading about possible solutions and implementing them such as port forwarding and static IPs with no success.

After finding a solution I smacked myself in the head thinking, "Why didnt I think of this before?". The solution: abandon Microsoft and simply try third party software designed for the same purpose. I started and ended my search with TeamViewer. Its free, almost too easy to use and works great.

How is it that free software works better - or at all - than our wonderful Windows which we pay for, in theory anyway ???

Team Viewer works nicelyRemote Assistance Problem

As I was searching for help on problems with Remote Assistance via Windows Live Messenger, I saw an add for Team Viewer.  It's free for non-commercial use and it took (literally) 3 mintues to install, run, figure out and connect.  Registration is not required.  I'm really happy with it so far. Apparently it can even work without requiring admin rights in Vista.  Good luck!

-reply by http://www.harveyim.com/

I gave up troubleshooting Remote Assistance.Then I found TeamViewer that does the same job.Small footprint, super easy to understand and I get connected in less than 5minutes !TeamViewer is the best and it is free

Windows Remote Assistance problemsRemote Assistance Problem

Ran into the same problems as others using the RDA feature.  I was able to connect up to another computer here in the house running on the same network. When I tried to connect to a relative's computer a few hundred miles away, no such luck. The program couldn't make the connection. The worst part is no explanation is given for why there's a problem, so good luck getting it up-and-running.

GREAT idea, VERY BAD implementation!

-reply by Michael

Just a Note on Remote assistanceRemote Assistance ProblemReplying to kdr_98Remote Assistance provides a way for you to get the help you need when you run into problems with your computer. If you're an experienced user, you can even be the one to use Remote Assistance to directly help your friends and family members.There are three ways to use Remote Assistance, described in the articles in this section. The fastest is via instant messaging using Windows Messenger, described in the first article to the right. You can also initiate Remote Assistance sessions via e?mail, as described in the second article. If you use a Web?based e?mail service, such as MSN? Hotmail?, you can fill out a form and save it as a file to attach to an e?mail, described in the third article.To use Remote Assistance, you will need:? Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP.? Both computers must be connected via a network or the Internet.? Windows Messenger must be installed on both computers.-reply by Geek Girl