xisto Community
BooZker

Remote Assistance Problem Wont work

a note on remoteRemote Assistance ProblemRemote Assistance provides a way for you to get the help you need when you run into problems with your computer. If you're an experienced user, you can even be the one to use Remote Assistance to directly help your friends and family members.There are three ways to use Remote Assistance, described in the articles in this section. The fastest is via instant messaging using Windows Messenger, described in the first article to the right. You can also initiate Remote Assistance sessions via e?mail, as described in the second article. If you use a Web?based e?mail service, such as MSN? Hotmail?, you can fill out a form and save it as a file to attach to an e?mail, described in the third article.To use Remote Assistance, you will need:? Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP.? Both computers must be connected via a network or the Internet.? Windows Messenger must be installed on both computers.-reply by Geek GirlKeywords:

some tipsRemote Assistance Problem

There are some things to consider if you want this to work. One of you guys wrote that it worked fine at home but whenever he or she tried to connect to somebody outside their house, it failed. This should give you a clue as to what is going on here. 

Many of you, no doubt, connect to internet through some kind of routing device. This device routes traffic from the internet to the computers in your home. This means, in layman terms, that there is one network on the outside (the internet) and one network on the inside (your computer/s etc). The router act as a gateway between the network. Often there is a function in the gateway that translates the routable ip addresses on the internet to the (mostly) non-routable ip addresses on the inside. This is called NAT (network address translation). This, amongst other things, means that you cannot connect directly to the other computer, as your computer is not directly connected to the internet. Sometimes the routers also function as some kind of firewall. 

To get it to work, you need to make sure that 1)there is no firewall blocking the ports used by remote desktop, 2)the remote desktop port in the firewall/router points towards the computer used for remote desktop connections (incoming). So, the computer that needs help must have an open door, so to speak so that the other computer can find it's way in, through the router. Incoming connections to, in this case 3389 (if I remember correctly), will then get forwarded to the computer on the inside running remote desktop.

Good luck / Mike

-reply by remhelp

Forwarding port for msn live chat will not help. NAT must be enabled...Msn chat uses nat to take outside ips and direct them to the client computer then msn chat adds the appropriate port.Your problems lie in your routers on the client side..That is if you can connect to others outside.Firewalls only help if you are not using msn chat and using some other product, let's say Famatechs Remote Administrator...Ports are assigned manually, and an internet connection is all you need, well along with the firewall forwarding your chosen port on the client side. ..Same on your side the "server". I ran into a problem with both msn chat and remote administrator on my neices side down in arkansas...I'm from nebraska...Her new router is blocking in a sort of way my connect to her and from her...I've connected to the state of Maine to my aunt's computer and her to mine works fine.So I'm still in the third day of troubleshooting this mess.But from what I am seeing...My neices computer router is not resolving ip numbers ...Ner NAT is not ON. Or not selected..This I don't know much about..As insaying can you turn on NAT or off? is that is so..Then we are in business.But after spending 15 hours type chatting in msn to her..Her computer should be fixed by now from her new windowz 7 install...A chore that I could have done in a couple hours myself if MSN chat would work..But hey...It's my neices NAT settings in her router..It may be her router doesnt have the ability for UPnP...Don't know.But will find out this upcomming weekend if it was her router..I have asked her to do a firmwareUpgrade and see if NAT is ON. If that's how it works..Al

testing client router settings for NAT enabled to remedy no MSN remote connectRemote Assistance Problem

forwarding port for msn live chat will not help. NAT must be enabled...Msn chat uses nat to take outside ips and direct them to the client computer then msn chat adds the appropriate port.

Your problems lie in your routers on the client side..That is if you can connect to others outside.Firewalls only help if you are not using msn chat and using some other product, let's say Famatechs Remote Administrator...Ports are assigned manually, and an internet connection is all you need, well along with the firewall forwarding your chosen port on the client side. ..Same on your side the "server". I ran into a problem with both msn chat and remote administrator on my neices side down in arkansas...I'm from nebraska...Her new router is blocking in a sort of way my connect to her and from her...I've connected to the state of Maine to my aunt's computer and her to mine works fine.

So I'm still in the third day of troubleshooting this mess.

But from what I am seeing...My neices computer router is not resolving ip numbers ...Ner NAT is not ON. Or not selected..This I don't know much about..As insaying  can you turn on NAT or off? is that is so..Then we are in business.

But after spending 15 hours type chatting in msn to her..Her computer should be fixed by now from her new windowz 7 install...A chore that I could have done in a couple hours myself if MSN chat would work..But hey...It's my neices NAT settings in her router..It may be her router doesnt have the ability for UPnP...Don't know. But will find out this upcomming weekend if it was her router..I have asked her to do a firmwareUpgrade and see if NAT is ON. If that's how it works..Al

NAT router problem? on client computer not resolving server connection requestRemote Assistance Problem

forwarding port for msn live chat will not help. NAT must be enabled...Msn chat uses nat to take outside ips and direct them to the client computer then msn chat adds the appropriate port.

Your problems lie in your routers on the client side..That is if you can connect to others outside.Firewalls only help if you are not using msn chat and using some other product, let's say Famatechs Remote Administrator...Ports are assigned manually, and an internet connection is all you need, well along with the firewall forwarding your chosen port on the client side. ..Same on your side the "server". I ran into a problem with both msn chat and remote administrator on my neices side down in arkansas...I'm from nebraska...Her new router is blocking in a sort of way my connect to her and from her...I've connected to the state of Maine to my aunt's computer and her to mine works fine.

So I'm still in the third day of troubleshooting this mess.

But from what I am seeing...My neices computer router is not resolving ip numbers ...Ner NAT is not ON. Or not selected..This I don't know much about..As insaying  can you turn on NAT or off? is that is so..Then we are in business.

But after spending 15 hours type chatting in msn to her..Her computer should be fixed by now from her new windowz 7 install...A chore that I could have done in a couple hours myself if MSN chat would work..But hey...It's my neices NAT settings in her router..It may be her router doesnt have the ability for UPnP...Don't know. But will find out this upcomming weekend if it was her router..I have asked her to do a firmwareUpgrade and see if NAT is ON. If that's how it works..Al