xisto Community
Mjay06

Potential Terrorist Target Or Harmless Fun?

Note: All the images/information below are freely available to anyone with internet access.

Images courtesy of multimap.com (click to enlarge)

While randomly browsing the net I decided to check out some aerial photos of where I grew up on https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=MMREDR. Out of curiousity, I thought id see if the RAF Airbase near home would be visable. I was amazed to see this:

Posted Image

What you are looking at is RAF Marham, home of No 1 Group Strike Command, which comprises of:

II Squadron - Flying TORNADO GR4/A Strike / Ground attack aircraft

IX Squadron - Flying TORNADO GR4/A Strike / Ground attack aircraft

XIII Squadron - Flying TORNADO GR4/A Strike / Ground attack aircraft

31 Squadron - Flying TORNADO GR4/A Strike / Ground attack aircraft

39 (1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit) Squadron - Flying the Canberra PR9 - the actual Squadron/aircraft which took every image used by multimap.

All the above have seen action in the Balkans/Iraq/Afghanistan

After figuring this out, I thought id see how close you could zoom in:

Posted Image

Here you can see numerous hardened aircraft shelters which house the Tornado GR4s

I began to wonder what else was visable, so a few clicks later I was hovering over:

Posted Image

This is RAF Lyneham, home of Air Transport Command, flying four Squadrons (Nos XXIV, 30, 47 and LXX), using the C-130K/J Hercules. Again, all have seen active service recently, & again you can get in pretty close:

Posted Image

Surely the American Military wouldnt allow this.. Yep amazingly they do

Posted Image

USAF Lakenheath, the 'Liberty Wing', & the largest USAF Fighter base in Europe, & home of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing & the F-15C & F-15E Strike Eagle.

Posted Image

A few miles south of the highly secretive Lakenheath, you will find:

Posted Image

USAF Mildenhall, which is inhabited by:

100th Air Refuelling Wing - the main USAF Air Refuelling Wing outside of the US, flying KC-135 tanker aircraft:

Posted Image

352nd Special Operations Group

727th Air Mobility Support Squadron

95th Reconnaisance Squadron

488th Intelligence Squadron

The words 'Special Operations' & 'Intelligence' give you an idea of what lurks inside the perimeter fences of this place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now using Google Earth/Nasa Worldwind to view these sites gives a blurryfied version of the images, which is why I was so suprised at the detail you can see on multimap - access roads, perimeter fences, individual aircraft (admittedly aircraft have a tendancy to move so the photos soon become redundant if you were planning on sabotaging one), but for identifying aircraft types at a particular location it certainly does its job.

I could have continued for hours & gone into much more detail regarding aircraft types/their useage (especially for Lakenheath & Mildenhall) but id rather not have the American 6th Fleet appear in my garden. If you fancy a browse yourself, I recommend RAF Fairford, where the USAF base B-52 Heavy bombers when they are needed in Europe/Middle East, Faslane, where the UK nuclear detterent is based, & there are a multitude of Army, Navy bases etc which can easily be tracked down

Surely in these times of suicide bombers & the like, some things are better not being shown off?

to be fair if someone really wanted to find a militery base they could regardless of photos like those. talking from experiance of traveling to bases in the UK. Anybody can find them if you know where to go. Direction are widley avaliable. the photos dont make it any easier believe it or not.

I took a walk along the canal near RAF Halton a couple of days ago, and I was amazed to find that a public footpath ran right through the middle of part of the camp. Plus, along all the roads there are large signs telling you exactly how to get in, where all the entrances are etc. It is signposted from miles away on main roads and the photos on Multimap are far too detailed for my liking.Actually thinking about it, I did see a sign saying that the OSA applied to the area, so any photographs or even sketches of the camp and surrounding are were not permitted. Who fancies reporting Multimap to MI5 <_<

attacking military target is too conventional for terrorists anyway, i mean that means sticking to the ROE. they dont really do that do they.lol. Look at london bombings.