xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mavrik

Making Movies

I hope someone can help as I have started to reach the point of ripping my hair out over this one... and would love just a tiny bit of guidance from someone in the know.I am using Adobe Premier Pro to edit my video footage - I have finished my first 'extreme sports action film' (ok, so not so extreme, but nevermind...). Now ALL I want to do is get my movie onto a DVD. I have read numerous articles and this process is not as easy as what they make out! When I export from adobe back to the camera and then play through the TV that way then I have excellent quality both visually and sound. However my attempts at getting onto a DVD have left me with either poor picture or poor sound. My first attempt was to render the completed footage as avi format as I thought that this would be the raw, uncompressed version of data - which i then thought I could compress, put onto my dvd authoring program and hey presto!! But infact the .avi footage was really poor quality. (and also took near on 4 hours to render in adobe for 7 mins of footage which seemed a bit excessive considering I'm on a 3.02 Mhz pentium 4 - but thats probably best saved for another thread!).My next attempt was to use the adobe encoder (I also have another encoder - TMPG) to encode the footage into DVD format (MPEG 2) - the picture I got was excellent but the sound is muffled in places...!! Aaarghhh. There are just so many options in choosing the different formats, that for someone like me who is just getting into the hobie of making movies, it can become a bit too much and frustrating! If someone could shed some light on this matter it would be much appreciated!

I hope someone can help as I have started to reach the point of ripping my hair out over this one... and would love just a tiny bit of guidance from someone in the know.

I am using Adobe Premier Pro to edit my video footage - I have finished my first 'extreme sports action film' (ok, so not so extreme, but nevermind...). Now ALL I want to do is get my movie onto a DVD. I have read numerous articles and this process is not as easy as what they make out!

When I export from adobe back to the camera and then play through the TV that way then I have excellent quality both visually and sound. However my attempts at getting onto a DVD have left me with either poor picture or poor sound.

My first attempt was to render the completed footage as avi format as I thought that this would be the raw, uncompressed version of data - which i then thought I could compress, put onto my dvd authoring program and hey presto!! But infact the .avi footage was really poor quality. (and also took near on 4 hours to render in adobe for 7 mins of footage which seemed a bit excessive considering I'm on a 3.02 Mhz pentium 4 - but thats probably best saved for another thread!).

My next attempt was to use the adobe encoder (I also have another encoder - TMPG) to encode the footage into DVD format (MPEG 2) - the picture I got was excellent but the sound is muffled in places...!! Aaarghhh.

There are just so many options in choosing the different formats, that for someone like me who is just getting into the hobie of making movies, it can become a bit too much and frustrating!

If someone could shed some light on this matter it would be much appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont know if i could shed some light, but you know, i tried this too. My DVD recorder sucks. It won't let me make my own dvd backgrounds, and i can't even recopy the DVD.

yup.

whatever you do, don't get a cyberhome DVD recorder.

Hmm.. I have never used this program, but dvd is in mpeg-2 format. mpeg-1 is vcd; avi/divx is the best choice for compressing high quality video, but that's probably not what you need. Try a search on dvdrhelp.com--I usually find everything I need to know about this kind of stuff there.

Not a great deal of help, but check out http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for info. Also, I personally go the free route for video editing (VirtualDub basically, see http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ note it's for AVI video editing...although some programs will output AVI to MPEG for DVD authoring)Also, go to groups.google.com and search for "DVD authoring" and see if there's anywhere that you can post for help from the experts :-)As you can guess, I'm an AVI nut (http://www.doom9.org/ is my favourite AVI encoding file site :-)) so I'm not that useful, but I'm sure if you go to dvdhelp you'll find what you're after