xisto Community
elrohir

Having Problems Installing Apache2 On Linux Any tux lovers to help me out?

I am installing Apache 2 on Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (downloaded appropriate binary), and have followed the instructions from several places, including apach.org...

I have got to the point where it says to enter make, just after the ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2, where I also added --enable-mods-shared=most, for the common options.

That all went fine, took a little while, then when it's done I am supposed to enter make, I presume to gather up all the newly created files. This command just does not exist. returned bash error and it is not in the manual. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance,

>elrohir

I am installing Apache 2 on Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (downloaded appropriate binary), and have followed the instructions from several places, including apach.org...

I have got to the point where it says to enter make, just after the ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2, where I also added --enable-mods-shared=most, for the common options.

That all went fine, took a little while, then when it's done I am supposed to enter make, I presume to gather up all the newly created files. This command just does not exist. returned bash error and it is not in the manual. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance,

>elrohir

There are two basic approaches one can take.

first approach: Install a binary package from your vendor

second approach: Install from sources

I think you have the two confused. Unfortutunately, I'm not very familiar with Ubunto, but it seems to be using many tools from Debian. To start, try:

man app-get

and see what that says.

Then, fetch and install Apache using native (i.e. Ubunto/Debian) tools for fetching & installing packages.

If and only if what you want to play with is not available from your vendor as a binary package do you go to the second approach, fetching the sources from the developers of the program.

The developers will be writing for the community at large, and are unlikely to customize their program for your particular flavour of Linux. You will have to do quite a bit of reading and hacking into various files inside your /etc directory, setting up a user, and and and..... all that is usually done for you by your vendor during the install from a native binary package.

If you don't have make, you won't have gcc either, so there is no way you are set up to install from sources. Far be it from me to discourage someone from learning, but don't jump into the deep end and get yourself all frustrated.

Iscatel

oh yeh, sorry about that. I solved it all ages ago and forgot I had posted... Thanks for checking back in the old posts, though! There are many people who have unanswered posts weeks back, and we do like to know that someone does actually feel like helping out :)What I did was completely remove all the source I had installed (make and gcc gotten from synaptic), installed the apt-get version, failed to set anything up with that, and then found out about xamp when googling... Many people will probably call me a heathen for using it, but it worked like hell, so why not? Thanks, Apachefriends, for the wonder of xamp! I could probably install it from source with the experience I have gained from then (ain't the web amazing?), but there is obviously no point now that I have apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer and a whole lot more running perfectly together! Now there is the matter that my server machine just crashed, but that is an entirely different story... for the vents, maybe?elrohir

Thanks in advance,

>elrohir

If your ultimate objective is to launch some web applications in your linux box, which needs Apache, why do you have to take the pain of installing Apache?

I am not sure, if you are also planning to use PHP and mySQL as well for your application.

If yes, the best solution is to go for a package like lampp (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) which is customized single package which will install all the above said applications automatically without you having to roll your head over. All the settings on all the applications are pre-configured, so it makes our work easy on launching the application and concentrating more on the application rather than making it work.

I have provided the link for the package below.

https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

It might also help to explore more on the package itself. It is available for windows too.

All the installation instructions are provide in the site itself in detail.

I have been using this for over an year now and I think is one of the best so far...

I am not sure if there are other services like this, apart from Apache Friends (Their solution is one of the best... ). you might have to explore on that.