xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

Moving Houses I wouldnt mind it... if only...

Yay... so we're moving houses. I don't mind that idea, but when I learned that my DSL provider can't transfer their services to our new area......and that I have to pay P3000 for a pre-termination fee... (though yes, I know that and I don't mind that)The thing that upsets me is that when I move... I may have to switch to dial-up again. The other alternatives are expensive and I have to pay another P2000 for installation and P1000/month. My dad didn't like that idea either... so he suggested the dial-up option.I finally got my DSL in late May!! I found a really good ISP! Now I have to say good-bye to it again! School just started a month or so ago, and now my dad's thinking of moving houses! I have to change my school bus... or as my dad suggested... commute :) (great, more risk... yay~)I need my DSL for a lot of things... things I can't do with dial-up (like setting up my own webserver). I'd do anything to pay for it... I'd sell my old gadgets (Gameboy Color)... sell my old textbooks just to pay for it! I'm not allowed to take part-time jobs either. My folks will never allow me to work in some restaurant, and I'm not enthusiastic about that either.Another annoying thing is I see my dad spend a lot of money for some crap and here we are lacking food at home... he only ever comes home on weekends too... and when we ask for money cause we NEED it, he whines. ;) It's horrible... now he calls telling us he's seriously into moving houses, but now there are a lot of things to consider.Anyone got any ideas? *sigh*

Are there any Wi-Fi areas nearby where you'll be moving? It will be a little more costly, but it would be about the same speed and you would ahve DSL. Also, if you are moving to a new neighborhood or a new subdivision, your ISP may just not have it available in that area yet.

Wi-Fi areas? Maybe near the malls... :/ Wireless broadband... yes... we have those here, but I don't really need it to be wireless and we already have a lot of costs to consider.

Well, in cases of financial difficulties, perhaps the easiest answer is also the harshest: forego DSL and stick it out with dial-up until the financial situation improves.Having more food on the table, in my opinion, is much more important than setting up your own webserver cause the former is what keeps you running - there's no point in taking care of a webserver if you can't even take care of yourself first.I also think that it would be a good idea to really spend some time in having a heart-to-heart conversation with your father. It's important for you to let him know what and how you're really feeling. To me, it doesn't sound right when he's "spending a lot of money for some crap" and only returns home on weekends. Not to mention, his reluctance and whining when you (and I'm assuming the rest of your family) asks for money for things that are necessary. Also, talk to him about how moving houses will benifit the family - increased income? Is it really necessary? Financially, how will that affect the family (cause a house is not cheap, no matter how big or small)?Anyway, that's just my though. I wish you all the best.

Maybe you need to have a talk with your parents. It's your money right? My parents can't wait until I have a part-time job because it increases responsibility. Try telling your parents that and ask about getting a small part time job at the movie theatre or something. You don't have to work at a restauraunt. As for ISPs maybe there's a better ISP in your new area. Check that out and it might be a bit cheaper. Hope you figure something out.

Part-time jobs are no option. It's different here in the Philippines. Plus I look nothing like my age. (Even if I'm old enough to get a part-time job, I wouldn't want to get one and my parents wouldn't either.)THINGS WORKED OUT!My mom talked to my dad about it some more, and he let us stay where I am now. It's not practical and all... my future uni is just around the block and if I move nearer to my current high school, I'll only be able to experience the comfort for only 2 years... What's the point? Plus... our current area is strategic. It's near all the landmarks like malls and stuff.