xisto Community
kylelnsn

New Site Help With Some Coding Need a little bit of advice

heya guys i have just started doing a website for my friend, and what i would like to do is have the main content area in a scrolling box, which is transparent, linked to a text file?do you get my drift, how could i do this or could someone make one that i can put into what i have already?the box need to be transparent!tahnks for the all help and i hope to hear some good results form this that can be used?! oww yeah by the way i only have dreamweaver at the minute as i have lost my frontpage dics and i just did a full format!any help will be most appreciated!

heya guys i have just started doing a website for my friend, and what i would like to do is have the main content area in a scrolling box, which is transparent, linked to a text file? the box need to be transparent!

First, what do you have already? Second, do you mean you want the text in the scrolling box to be the exact text taken from the text file? Third, do you want the text to scroll automatically or do you just want a scroll BAR to appear in that main section?

ive got all the site created in photoshop and sliced and tabled, i want the text to be in a text box with the bar to scroll! it has got to be transparetn though the box has,is there a way to link the text to a text file? because thats what is needed! thanks guys!

Hmm... i dont really understand what you are asking for, but maybe you could draw an image in paint or something to help visualize.If you could post the current code here and tell me what you want to modify I may be able to help :)BTW, by transparent, how much do you mean? (eg. 10%, 20% .... its possible to have a transparent item on a webpage using CSS ;))

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're looking for.What I'd suggest doing is using an IFrame for the scrolling textbox. You mentioned that you use dreamweaver...unfortunatly i don't have that, but I can tell you how to do it by hand. All we do is take the normal iframe syntax and tack on the "allowtransparency" variable. It'll look something like this:<iframe src="ScrollBox.html" allowtransparency="true">Sorry, your browser can't handle iframes...GET a better one!!!</iframe>Once you're done with that you need to go into the page displayed by the iframe (in this case ScrollBox.html) and add in the transparency style to the body tag, which'll look something like this:<body style="background-color: transparent;">That should pretty much do it. If you don't want the info in the box to always stay the same you could pull it out of a text file and dynamicly write it in with php.Anyways, I hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

im not to sure that i fully understand, is there a way that you can give me all teh code and tell me where to paste it and what to change, will thsi i frame be linked to an text file so, whoever changes it can just quickly and easily change the content?thanks guys!

im not to sure that i fully understand, is there a way that you can give me all teh code and tell me where to paste it and what to change, will thsi i frame be linked to an text file so, whoever changes it can just quickly and easily change the content?

I pretty much gave you all the code needed (i didn't specifiy the dementions of the iframe because i don't know what you need), but if you want help implimenting it then i need to see the html on your page. Either post your html here, or just put the page online and give me a link. As far as linking the iframe to a text file, that will probably work but i'm not 100% sure that the background will be transparent (did a quick check and it worked correctly in firefox...but that might not hold true for other browsers). If that doesn't work you would just use an html file instead of a text file, and then include the transparency option.

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

im not to sure that i fully understand, is there a way that you can give me all teh code and tell me where to paste it and what to change, will thsi i frame be linked to an text file so, whoever changes it can just quickly and easily change the content?

thanks guys!

I don't know about linking a text file to the center element nor do I completely understand what you mean by a transparency, but here is what I came up with for a layout. Sample Take a look and see if this helps.

I'm going to write out the basic code for you in a barebones example.

The first version uses two html files, and the second one uses a html file coupled with a text file. One importain thing though: you can't use any html in the text file (unless you use php or something to parse it in). So if you want to do formatting, links, or pictures use the first version.

1)

Main Page:

<html><body bgcolor=#000000 text=#ffffff>Content above the iframe.<br><table bgcolor=#05006F><tr><td><iframe src="frame.html" allowtransparency="true">Sorry, your browser doesn't support frames.Please get an updated one, like <a href="mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/"></td></tr></table>Content below the iframe.</body></html>
Frame Page:

<html><body style="background-color: transparent;" text=#ffffff><b>Inside the iframe.</b></body></html>

2)

Main Page:

<html><body bgcolor=#000000 text=#ffffff>Content above the iframe.<br><table bgcolor=#05006F><tr><td><iframe src="frame.txt" allowtransparency="true">Sorry, your browser doesn't support frames.Please get an updated one, like <a href="www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/"></td></tr></table>Content below the iframe.</body></html>
Frame Text File:

Inside the iframe.
Hope that was more understandable. <_< Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)