xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
master_bacarra

Dvd/cd-rw Problem

well, i've tried using the search bar, but it returned an error, so if there's a duplicate topic about this, forgive me.my mom bought a laptop a few weeks back and my older brother installed everything the laptop needs for it to be fully functional (including players for dvd's). i got some videos from a classmate that was written on dvd, so i thought the laptop is the best option for me to play them. when i tried playing the dvd on the laptop, the drive just lights up for a few seconds (and makes a vibration that tells you that the dvd is spinning) but after that, nothing happens. it doesn't read anything from the dvd. i tried using an audio cd, and it plays the cd automatically. i used my older brother's dvd's at home but it doesn't work as well. i've checked the specs of the laptop and as far as i can remember, it said that the drive is a dvd/cd-rw so i guess there's no problem with that. i've check the drive status, and it's working properly. yet it can't detect the dvd.by the way, the dvd/cd-rw is ASUS SCB-2424A

you said its not playing automatically but have you tried selecting it manually. try that in my computer and select the player to play it on. Also does the dvd work on a normal dvd player.

Check what type of DVD it is as in whether it is a DVD-R or a DVD+R and then determine if your DVD drive plays one of those or both. Older ones only supported one format so i would check that out. Also, check out what region the dvd is and what region your dvd player supports. Finally, if none of those work, see if you can access the disk and then rip the dvd to your computer and play it that way since if there is a scratch or a bad sector it will tell you. Good luck

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

Have a look at this site for more http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

well the dvd drive doesn't even detect the dvd's at home. but it does detect cd audio or vcd. i've tried using troubleshooting but it says i have to install a codec. what's the use of the codec if my drive doesn't even detect the dvd in the first place?oh well. i'll check back later.

Check what type of DVD it is as in whether it is a DVD-R or a DVD+R and then determine if your DVD drive plays one of those or both. Older ones only supported one format so i would check that out. Also, check out what region the dvd is and what region your dvd player supports. Finally, if none of those work, see if you can access the disk and then rip the dvd to your computer and play it that way since if there is a scratch or a bad sector it will tell you. Good luck

i've checked the drive's stats. it's a dvd-rw (dvd/cd-rw to be exact). the discs are dvd-r so i suppose the drive should read it, but it doesn't, it doesn't even detect the disc. the region is ok, there's no problem with that.

well, i don't know what else the problem is so i'm having my mom check it at the store. (well she's the one who bought it so it's hers. i'm just trying to use it hoping i could watch a movie or something.)

oh by the way, i've tried uninstalling the drive and installed it again, but it still didn't work.
Edited by mbacarra (see edit history)

well, the technician said that the reason why the dvd drive isn't reading the disc was because of its speed. jeez. what's the point of having a drive if it doesn't read the discs that it is supposed to work on. anyway, i proved that one when i play vcds and music cds. the playback becomes choppy and it's kinda irritating. so much for having a new laptop. does anyone know how to make a dvd drive work/read faster? if that's even possible.tsk. later peeps.

Can you see the maps (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) on the DVD in explorer.

If this works you DVD can be read by your drive.

The second thing you have to do is install some software for playing DVD's.

In Belgium the program 'DVD Playback' is provided with the Drive.

Is this program installed on your PC ?

But mostly I use WinDVD for playing DVD's (http://www.windvdpro.com/en/) here you can download a 14-day trial version, at least then you know your hardware works.

There are some other (free) possiblities :

You can play DVD's with Microsoft Media Player , but there are some extra codec's needed.

Some other hints :

- K-lite codec pack : a large list of codecs you can use to play sound and video http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

- With the program Sherlock you can check your codecs installed on your PC (also included in the full K-lite codec pack).

About the speed , this is only a problem writing DVD's.

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

actually, i just found out that the drive only reads original dvds (my dad has an original copy of the eagles concert), which doesn't make some sense to me, considering that the dvd that my friend gave me isn't a rip or something. i just had her burn some videos so i could watch it on the laptop. yet it doesn't read it.when i used troubleshooting in windows, it said that i have to have cyber dvd (it's the application that is required for the dvd's to be played) installed. when the laptop was bought, my older brother had already installed the application.about the speed, i also noticed that the drive is weak when it comes to reading data. weak meaning it doesn't read data from discs as fast as it's supposed to. i've tried playing the video on my dad's eagles concert, and realized that playback is choppy, although i've tried checked the settings for the playback to be smooth, yet the problem still arises.