xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Windows Update - I Have Had Two New Updates For A While - Question? Should I install these updates or not? Read Below.....

I have read the thread about how dangerous Windows XP Service Pack 3 is since there has not been a Beta out for it yet.

But I have had two Automatic Updates pending and I have not installed them yet. There is just that little yellow shield like icon the taskbar asking me to install every once in a while.

The updates that it wants me to install are:

Microsoft GDI+ Detection TOol (KB873374) Size: 214 KB

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) Size: 1.0 MB

If anybody else has downloaded these updates and installed them can you tell me if it is alright for me to install them or have they screwed up your computer as much as the Windows XP Service Pack 3 has to some people

Basically I want to know if it is fine to install these because I have installed almost every other update and sometimes I get a problem that takes a while to fix but most of the time they are alright

Thanks.....

don't dl that pack if its not from microsoft then don't download it also those files are for running the update program to windows update so you don't need to have them installed.those sp 3 fixes are mini hacks most likly but since vista is coming out a valid sp3 for xp won't be coming out.

If you run 'Windows Update' on your computer you normally get only updates validated by Microsoft.Watchout the second update works only on leagal versions of Windows XP.If you version has an illeagal key it will genarate a warning every time you boot up your computer.After a few days windows will stop working.This is a part of the protection Microsoft takes against illeagal windows versions.Normaly if this update is not on your computer , your computer won't download any new updates anymore.Since your version is not checked.Without the update you can't download 'Windows Defender' also (a free spyware program from Microsoft).Run also a good antivirus on your computer and some spyware checkers.

1. The Microsoft+ GDI detection rules helps to detect the presence of non-Windows(Microsoft) products that contain the GDI+ component and helps you control the security level. The tool also helps in detecting certain versions of products like .NET FRAMEWORK, Visual Studio .NET, etc.

More information : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

It is not a necessary update

2. The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, is a new app from MS, that installs and checks your system if the Windows you are using is Genuine or not. If it is not, then you will get a popup asking to get a genuine version. This check is done at each startup of Windows, and many sites have already labelled that WGA check as a spyware and already lawsuits are files against MS regarding the WGA notification. And to add to troubles, there's already a worm that disguises as WGA notification.

MS recomends this as a critical update. You may install it if you like.