xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dyknight

Qr Code Barcode 2.0

Good morning everyone.

I recently came across this new barcode known as QR code. Popularly used in Japan, it is a martix code or 2-dimensional barcode. QR (Quick Response) is specially created for fast encoding and decoding and boasts of larger storage than the normal barcode.

"QR Code is open in the sense that the specification of QR Code is disclosed and that the patent right owned by Denso Wave is not exercised."from the Denso-Wave website.

Storage

QR Code Data capacity

Numeric only Max. 7,089 characters

Alphanumeric Max. 4,296 characters

Binary (8 bits) Max. 2,953 bytes

Kanji/Kana Max. 1,817 characters

Error Correction capacity

Level L 7% of codewords can be restored.

Level M 15% of codewords can be restored.

Level Q 25% of codewords can be restored.

Level H 30% of codewords can be restored.

In Japan, firms store advertising information such as shop addresses in QR codes and print them on their advertisements. Consumers who wish to copy down the information no longer need to type or write; they use camera phones to take a picture and decode the QR using downloaded software.

A web-based QR code encoder is available here:

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

Hanphone Java decoder is available here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

If barcode is serving the purpose fine, why do need an alternative? Seems like the barcode system is pretty fast itself... doesn't take me too long at Wal-Mart to checkout :).

Re: pauls opinionQr Code

Barcodes are old school. QR codes could potentially store other data than the products ID's

ie: Used by/best before date, specials data, and rather than using the supermarkts networked system to store the product name and manufacturer, all that data could be 'stored' in the QR code, saving recourses.

I don't know how supermarket systems work exactly, I was just throwing ideas around.

You could even use QR technology to print your whole receipt and 'decrypt' it at home or where ever to save paper in print outs.

Your comment is similar to Bill Gates when in the '80's he stated that personal computers will never need more than 256KB of memory. Today Windows Vista(Home Basic) minimum requirements are 512MB of memory.

As the need for more data increases, so does the need of technology to keep up.

-reply by BANGAS