xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

Sd To Hard Drive

Okay, I think it would be really, really cool if they made a little card the size of a Secure Digital card, and had a cable running out of it and at the other end a little USB or Firewire port where something can plug into the end of this cable. Then you can slip this little card into the Secure Digital slot in your palm, camera, whatever and then you could have a portable hard drive in your pocket and the hard drive plugs into the end of this cable. Then if you?re taking pictures or video with your camera or video camera, it burns all the pictures and video onto the portable hard drive. Then you can take hours of video and thousands of pictures. All you have to worry about is your battery going dead. What do you think?

Canon has already started with this idea portable DTE recorder serveral years ago. However the price one must pay for this is not so appealing to consumers as of today. The marketing price is around $1100 USD but the consumer target price is around $500. This means, an average Joe is not willing to fork over more than $500 for the convenience of portable hard drive recording technology.

I believe that the future of any portable storage medium rests on stabability--this means the less moving parts there are, the less prone to a failure. Solid state storage, such as flash card, is the wave of the future. I currently have two Sandisk's 4GB Ultra III CF card with dual modulator (that can use two CF cards as back to back RAID, see figure 1) can hold 4 hours of video in high definition quality. This makes it easier to transfer 4 hours worth of video as if it was an 8GB file, rather than 4 hours of transferring via firewire to my PC in real time.

Solid state memories can withstand up to 9 G's and they rarely fail due to everyday usage. Therefore, I would use higher capacity of flash memory verses any conventional rotating drives. It won't be long until you start to see 20GB+ SD cards or CF cards.

Figure 1

Posted Image