xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adriantc

The Price Of Progress?!? Are we ready to accept the price of progress?

It is hard to define progress so I'll give you an example out of my own life. A few months ago my parents decided that my room needs to be repained and refurnished. I thought it was a good idea, I needed some change... But just a week ago we started emptying my room so I only have my bed now. The other day I thinking that (in problems regarding directly me I'm pretty conservative) it looked better the way it was and I started feeling remorses. I'm very sentimental and I need a way to connect to my past. I fear that someday I might forget from where I left. MAybe that's why I felt remorses. Anyway I think this is the price of progress... ending a chapter and starting a whole new one.In my example the repainting and refurnishing are improvments>>>progress. I embrace progress because I consider that if we aren't ready to pay the price of progress we aren't ready to become better humans. If our ancestors wouldn't have embraced progress we would still be living in caves and hunting wild animals for food. Progress is (in my opinion) strongly related to evolution...The hard question is ... When is the price of progress too high? Is there a moment in history or do you think there will ever be a moment when the price will not be worth the progress?

what you cannot reach with mind? existence of god, universe creation? about this two things we can only speculate, every other thing is reachable. so i think you should not think of a price factor of progress, but about evolution factor of progress. if you start thinking about what can be done - you will have small number of ideas. if you think about things you shouldn't do - you will find many illegal/immoral in some way things. the point is to keep ratio beetween evolution and tradition, because if you think only about evolution you gonna take yourself to the straight edge of thinking - ie. the revolution. A we all know one thing about the revolution - it eats it's own children.so i think the price of the progress is unmeasurable, simply unmeasurable :)

well, actually we did not make too much of a progress since our ancestors - we still live in caves, the problem is just that these caves are not natural...anyways, I've changed a lot, a real lot, during the last couple of years and now I'm regretting that I don't have much to remind myself of who I was once. I don't want to go back, I'm happy with most of the changes I've made and I'd love to change more but well ... I don't have much to show me who I was except for my memories and those of friends :)yes, there have been times in history when the price was not worth the progress.My favorite point in this is weapons development. We do have loads of cruel and even more cruel weapons around. What do the military people all over the world do? Invest in researching even more deadly weapons...

Instinct urges us to do things the way we have always done them. It's reason, imagination, and logic that makes us do things differently. Whether or not this is for the better can be debated, but the old saying still stands true; tradition is the enemy of progress.

I also need to connect to my past. If i don't, than i don't know why im alive. My progress in life is undetermined, i can wake up any day and forget where i was, where i am, what im doing, If i dont have any connection or speculaton of why i live, than i would cease to exist. This world has many different edges to it, Life is more of a game of Strength, Wisdom, Balance, Intelligence, Its mostly just like a rpg system in a more reliable world. but this is real Progression in this world buys you everything depending on how you choose to work, and co-exist. If you are of no quality traits than you will progress no where. Undertsand? I bet you guys don't lol

Edited by Thelaw (see edit history)

so i think the price of the progress is unmeasurable, simply unmeasurable :)

I'd have to agree. It's impossible to measure the price of progress until you've already made the progress, and the price is evident! Which, actually, is a bit different than what harad said. It's possible to measure the price of progress, but only possible once the progress has already been achieved, which means that finding the price of progress is useless except in studying past experiences where we've had to pay a price for progress, and we noticed that the price was not really worth it after (learning from history). Hope that makes sense.