xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Hdmi 3.1 Finalized

From http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

"HDMI Licensing LLC, the group responsible for licensing the High-Definition Multimedia Interface, announced today the release of the latest revision of the HDMI specification; the HDMI 1.3 spec doubles the format?s bandwidth and adds support for Deep Color technology (30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths), a broader color space, new digital audio formats, automatic audio/video synching capability (?lip sync?), and an optional smaller connector for use with personal photo and video devices.

?PlayStation 3 will be the most advanced computer platform for enjoying a wide range of entertainment content, including the latest games and HD movies, in the home,? said Ken Kutaragi, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, in a prepared statement.

?By introducing the next-generation HDMI 1.3 technology, with its high speed and deep color capabilities, PS3 will push the boundaries of audiovisual quality to the next level of more natural and smoother expression on the latest large flat panel displays.?

New HDMI 1.3 features:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

o

Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors

o

Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors

o

Enables increased contrast ratio

o

Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more

Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.

o

Next-generation ?xvYCC? color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals

o

Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately

o

Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors

New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI?s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby? Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby? TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio?."

Just another $50 cable that will come out. But I think it is pretty cool that HDMI almost doubles the amount of colors as normal HD has. So basically, Sony already has this on their minds and may rethink their connections, although I think they are using HDMI for

the PS3 already.

vvvvvv That's a bunch of bs, I was warned and suspended because I didn't know how to make the indented quotes tags thing so I just put quotes around it. Yeah, I copied and pasted it but I didn't say it was my own, I put normal quotes around it as I would in a essay for school, it's not wrong.

Notice from KuBi:
Copied from; http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

When copying from another source use

tags.
Edited by brautigam (see edit history)