xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

how to make a pc server? Tell Me

Thanks for all this usefull information it'd be easy to make money if you had your own server.

it would also cost you quite a bit of money!

Do you realize, that if you were to turn our own computer into a server for your website your website would go down everytime you have a power-outage? everytimg you turn off the computer? and that it would make your electricity bill go sky high? i mean, comeon a computer on 24/7/365 with the occasional 5 minute shutdown and cool-off/clean dust out and the occasional updating..lol your bill would be pretty high!

anywho, ive decided if i ever want to make my own hosting company im sure there is somewhere out there that will host the servers i buy in a nice cool room to keep them cool and clean and provide the energy for them.

if not, then i will build a palce like that and make money :) muhahhahaah

To make a server:1. Get a good server PC like some old computer you have sitting downstairs.2. Install Linux on it.3. Get a good internet connection.4. Install Apache.5. Install PHP.6. Install MySQL7. Set the above up.8. Get a control panel (cpanel is best)9. Get Fantistico if you want.10. Get a domain.11. Make a website.12. START HOSTING!!!OR you can get a reseller server which means you get server space off a company and you can then sell that space you have.

I was considering setting up my own home server as well, but I was concerned with my ISP reaction to me doing this- I have read places where only certain high speed internet providers approve of people running servers from their home connections due to the amount of bandwidth used. Does anyone have any information on this? Or possibly a website that lists which ISP's allow this practice and which ones don't? I use Comcast Cable for my high speed internet and just curious if they would allow a home server setup.Thanks.

For plug

Comcasts i dont think cares... otherwise sonic.net really dsont care my friend had them and have his own server and knew people who used all of there 6 mbit connection for months on end and they never did anything... so just look around sbc will care i know that *BLEEP* aol and thats about all i know of and all the dial ups are stupid... and if you plan to host a server on dial up im sorry to say your plain stupid..

for albus

Allright where to start lol...

1. Cost depends on how many servers you want (btw i run my personal computer 24/7/365 so yeah... my parents dont yell at me cause well they leave theres on as well...) Most copanies have 2- a couple hundred depending on what they are doing... normaly they have 1 for email server and another for the site and a backup for each of these... at the client site i describe below we installed 10 servers i think and there were 10 more in the mail lol... and this was for a company called wine.com so just to give you an idea)

2. Another thing is are you hosting the server or you letting someone else soruce it because that also can cost more or less depedning which way you go.

My dad and i have installed servers at a client site (data center: lots and lots of computers... they have backup generators aglor and a *BLEEP* load of ac lol the room is about 40- 50 *f and you have server racks, nice network connections and dedicated power lines all backed up on generators) either way it costs a bit of money to run them here but they cover power and bandwidth those sorts of details but it can get a little costly if your just starting out

3. How many hits a day are you expecting
The more people you have visiting your site determins how much bandwidth you need (ill use this site as an example the bandwidth for this site is HUGE because look at all the people posting a day probably about a gig or more a day... while in the hosting accounts they give out we get 5 gig a month so put that into prespective) a big site requires lots of bandwidth

4. What is the site going to be doing
If you are just making a site for a clan or something simple like that you dont need that much room, if you making a site like this where EACH person has there own profile you ned a lot more not only that but to offer hosting you need a couple terra bytes...

5. Domain
pretty simple... just get a domain to forward to the ip of the server...

thats about al i can think of atm... anyways you can go cheap on the server or expensive... however if you are doing a server look into raptor drives 15000 rpms just totaly owns on servers however your limited to i think 200 gigs now a drive... but they are very exelent for servers and or main gaming computer hds

You can easily get a server running for around a grand but it all depends on what its going to do...

for a grand your looking at a pretty simple rig...
single processor (most servers have 2 -4 up to around 30+ dont exactly know...) id get a core 2 duo or sorts
get a good mobo with lots of ram space and get about 4 gigs ram if you can ... (around 600 bucks start with 2 and upgrade later to more so spend about 300 and get 2 gigs and spend another 300 down the road to get 4 gigs total)
You really dont need a gpx card but if you really want one get a pos 50 $ one the computers not for gaming... its for file hosting type things... the gpx card really wont matter its just to see wahts on the computer i guess... you can also remote into them...
get a few gbs... lol (id go around 200+ gbs if not more in raptors... depending on waht your doing if its for one site go with 200 and upgrade if you need to to get more)

and thats about it that you need in a server cpu/ram/hds/mobo and or course a case...

Well thats definately a consideration now, knowing that Comcast wouldn't really do anything. I guess I could try it out and if they say I have to stop, then I'll just stop. Not too big of a deal. Definately worth while for me, considering I own a custom computer company, so I have spare parts laying around that would make more than a suffcient server computer. I agree with the above specifications, I've heard that Raptor drives are a must especially if you're going to be running forums or other such text intensive scripts. Thats a good point about the graphics card - you can really cut down on the costs there, it isnt nescessary at all to have a top of the line Geforce 7900 or something card that costs about $300. Thanks for the information tdktank.

no problem i know a bit about what to look for in a computer lol..but yeah raptors pwn... if i had the money id get a raptor for my personal computer and raid it with anohter one for backup...but anyways you really dont need a gpx card at all my remote into it...

Well I run my own mmorpg servers, specs are secret ofc for the integrety, even with a 20 euro pc you can host a bizzy site pentium 2 WTF lol ye its posible.all you need is a eassy program like xampp some harddrive space 24/7 online and your set.

Well I run my own mmorpg servers, specs are secret ofc for the integrety, even with a 20 euro pc you can host a bizzy site pentium 2 WTF lol ye its posible.
all you need is a eassy program like xampp some harddrive space 24/7 online and your set.

yeah, it is completely possible, but the problem is the electric bill, and depending on your location for natural disasters for instance, floods that may flood your house and destroy the server knocking your site offline for days, weeks possibly months or forever.

Some time ago, about 2 months from now, I was thinking about hosting site at home... My friend and me, actualy... I was looking for a simple answer for my question, can I do that or no.... And more I have gone deeper in planing I have more thinking to stop with trying... In my country it is not possible for a little amount of money. My research ended there. Prices in my country: SerbiaStatic IP adress 30-55 eur per month64k uplink 20 eur per month; for higher speed abuot 70-90 eur per 1Mbit per month(2Mbit=140-180 eur per month)electricity 100-110 eur per monthbandwidth - it says there it is very cheap, but I do not belive... 1GB - 20 eurSo, calculating is clear... For one good site with many visits per month, one site home hosting costs...Static IP adress 30 eur2 Mbit uplink 160 eurelectricity 105 eurbandwidth 5 GB 100 eurthat is 395 eur per month, and 4740 eur per year so it is about $6000. And most of people have payments below that amount, so it is better pay for host than hosting... One site host at hosting provider costs about 30 eur per month, and it is outside my country so it is better cheaper hosting @ provider...

a lot of software for a serve you can get for free, even control panels like VHCS. its not really the server that matters its the power costs and bandwidth. To get around this problem just get co-location from a data centre they do that all for you and you only pay a set price per month (what i do).Running a server can take a lot of time and effort to set up, its a good idea to know PHP,SQL, SSH ect so if anything goes wrong which usually happens you will no how to fix things. Once youve got round all that you can do anything.

lolif you can afford it my dad does client site installs for people its like 200 bucks an hour for the isntall but itll get done right i can guarentee it look up mtm lol

lol
if you can afford it my dad does client site installs for people its like 200 bucks an hour for the isntall but itll get done right i can guarentee it

look up mtm lol

with the information that i got from these posts i think i would be able to do it myself, and even if i couldn't do it myself i can get cheaper than that :blink: try free :wacko: i love haveing friends that have dads that are complete computer/software/hardware geeks ;)

thanks everyone for your advice ;)

Right now im actually running my own server at my house. I've got a computer with linux installed and all the app's needed to run a website (Apache, Perl, PHP, Bind, FTP, MySQL, etc..). All im using is an empty computer I found, then I just added simple things to it (Ethernet card, harddrive, mouse/keyboard, cdrom). Then I looked around and found a pretty good monitor and hooked it all up. Then you just have to install linux on there, get everything you'll need running, and then its really fun because there's noone telling you how much space you can use, and if theres a problem, you just walk over to the computer and handle it ^_^ . It doesnt have to be very strong if you're just using it for yourself, no dual-xeon processors 3gb ram needed. Ive got a really old pentium in there and about 64mb ram lol. But for that it works pretty fast for hosting myself and 2 other websites on it. The only thing I noticed that killed it is when I tried to install a wiki on there (wow did that thing go slow then). The only cost you'll need is to buy a domain name (you can get some for about $1.99 for a year now, its extremely cheep), the internet cost (I dont have any special packages, just Yahoo! DSL, I recommend cable though), and the electricty cost (its not a lot but its gotta stay on 24/7 for a good server :P .The only trickey thing is finding out how to install inux/apps if you have never had any experience with that os before. A good site is howtoforge and they've got plenty of tutorials of how to install linux and everything you'll ever need. Ask me any questions if you have them :P
And as for the e-mail accounts, if you set up one of these you can supply as many email accounts as you want, just make sure you have the hard disk space