xisto Community
heavensounds

What Is God? simple question, hard to answer

[1]The mind and spirit are the ying and the yang correct? [1:2]So, if thee lord balances those would he not of reached Nirvana and have become buddha?

[2]The human brain comes from beliefs and thoughts. Thus we are createing the human brain in our discussion.

[1]I guess that would be correct.

[1:2]It's possible. But, what if such a thing happened exactly when they were born?

[2]If the human brain comes from our own beliefs and thoughts, how can the spirit be the yang of the brain (since, this would mean: the brain does not exist)? Also, where are these beliefs and thoughts coming from, if they're not from the human brain? Where are they stored? Does not the brain bring about thoughts?

God created all that is good. Man, unfortunately, brought pain and suffering upon themselves and to things around them. Where there is freewill, there is the possibility of wickedness.

God created mankind... right?
and gave them freewill.. right again?
thus he also created all evil in the world because freewill allows for wickedness, thus it is his doing. Point proven, he is not somebody I would be proud to worship.

Before you disagree, how can God be creator of all, but not be responsible for the evil in the world?... either his is creator of all (good and evil, in which case I would not be proud of worshipping him) or he is not creator of all , which defies the definition of godliness thus there is no God.

To recap: IF God exists he IS responsible for all evil in existance (as well as good of course) OR there is no God.

By the way: You talk a lot about proof in your post.. and you're right for a lot of things I believe in there is no proof, but neither do you have proof... only evidence, keep that in mind... no matter how much you believe in something you just might be wrong. We both might be completely wrong, all we have is evidence and each has to interpret it in its own way and we'll most likely never know whom is right.

P.S: While evolution is not proven evidence indicates Darwins general idea is right. The difference between creationism and evolution is this: creationsim is based on an idea and poeple who believe in that idea interpret evidence in such a way as to support that idea. With Evolution it was the other way around: Darwin developed his theory after looking at evidence from an unbiased point of view, he concluded after seeing evidence. Evidence should never be made to fit a preconcluded theory, it doesn't work, the thory needs to fit the evidence not the other way around. Again I'm not saying evolution is the end all and be all, it just seems the more probable to me, I have no proof but I'm pointing out a flaw in the theory of creationism(or intelligent design).
Edited by Blacklaser (see edit history)

God created mankind... right?

and gave them freewill.. right again?

thus he also created all evil in the world because freewill allows for wickedness, thus it is his doing. Point proven, he is not somebody I would be proud to worship.

Before you disagree, how can God be creator of all, but not be responsible for the evil in the world?... either his is creator of all (good and evil, in which case I would not be proud of worshipping him) or he is not creator of all , which defies the definition of godliness thus there is no God.

To recap: IF God exists he IS responsible for all evil in existance (as well as good of course) OR there is no God.

Well, first let's look back at what i said (underline added by me):

God created all that is good.

No where does that include only/exactly: "God created all." Now, after analyzing everything properly, we can see that God is not the creator of evil. God created all that is good, but what man does with this goodness can be wicked. Since everyone is responsible for their own actions, you can't really blame God for the actions of humans, since we have freewill.

By the way: You talk a lot about proof in your post.. and you're right for a lot of things I believe in there is no proof, but neither do you have proof... only evidence, keep that in mind... no matter how much you believe in something you just might be wrong. We both might be completely wrong, all we have is evidence and each has to interpret it in its own way and we'll most likely never know whom is right.

I agree. But all will be made clear soon. :)

P.S: While evolution is not proven evidence indicates Darwins general idea is right. The difference between creationism and evolution is this: creationsim is based on an idea and poeple who believe in that idea interpret evidence in such a way as to support that idea. With Evolution it was the other way around: Darwin developed his theory after looking at evidence from an unbiased point of view, he concluded after seeing evidence. Evidence should never be made to fit a preconcluded theory, it doesn't work, the theory needs to fit the evidence not the other way around. Again I'm not saying evolution is the end all and be all, it just seems the more probable to me, I have no proof but I'm pointing out a flaw in the theory of creationism(or intelligent design).

As a side-note: Darwin's theory isn't new, to tell you the truth. Many materialistic philosophers since acient Greece had been saying the same thing. Darwin just basically brought it "back to life". Truly, it would be quite possible for evolution to take place, but there are many things to look at. It's like a puzzle that can never be finished. I know people who believe in God, but also believe that God used evolution to bring about life, and all the species in the world. Such is quite possible, but, again, may never be proven. There are too many difficulties for both sides. It can go either way. Though, i find Darwin's theory to be struggling more than other religions, in a matter of speaking. Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

but if God did not create all he isn't all powerful and thus not a God... so he doesn't exist :) Also he gave us freewill... had he not given us freewill there would be no evil, se yeah he IS responsible :(

but if God did not create all he isn't all powerful and thus not a God... so he doesn't exist :D Also he gave us freewill... had he not given us freewill there would be no evil, se yeah he IS responsible :(

Lol. One does not have to create everything in order to be omnipotent. All one has to be is above everything, which that is where He is.

Yes, He is responsible for giving us freewill. He also gave us a mind with the ability to know what's right and what's wicked. It's our choice for doing wickedness, not His. Thus, we are responsible for our own actions. Cause we can choose whether or not to do wickedness.

Looking it at now, i'd prefer to have freewill, at least for a certain amount of time. :)

How about you, would you prefer freewill or no will?

God is love. God is the one who created us. God is real.if God is a figment of our imagination, then how did we get here? do you seriously believe that our sophisicated bodies, the different kinds of animals and plants, the solar system, and everything else was created from the big bang? do you believe that our world was purely created by chance?i don't believe so.

[...] and everything else was created from the big bang?

The Big Bang supports Intelligent Design. Many people are unaware of it, but if there was no Supreme being behind it all, all matter would have been obliterated by anti-matter. So, it is possible that this "Big Bang" is one way things happened through God's Word. Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

To me God is someone who everyone believes created all living beings which are on Earth today. I myself do not give the creator a name because the Bible that was written could have been made by anyone to give others the belief in many things that happened in the past. I do not believe in much of what is all in the bible myself.Through out the centries the book and stories that have been told could have been edited so much just to create a big belief to give others something to fallow off of. In away to me God is nothing but a word in which everyone believes is the Almight Creator. Inless we can see something to prove that, that is his name I will belief more into this.

Through out the centries the book and stories that have been told could have been edited so much just to create a big belief to give others something to follow off of.

Ever since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, we know for certain that there has been no change in the OT. Most of the changes were mostly in the NT, and there were very few of them. But, the newly updated Bibles correct these changes to what they are supposed to be according to early manuscripts.
There has been many other discoveries that the OT bears witness to. Like, the Pharoah's body, that was drowned during the time of Moses, was found and is now in some museum. If you go to the same site, you might still find parts of his army under there. Markings of Noah's ark, exactly the same size that the OT tells us, was found, as well. As for evidence for the Gospels of the NT, there's the linen cloth that was wrapped around Jesus, which is in some church in the east.

I believe in the things that have been discovered and shown in museums and stuff but just keep the Bible as it was from the start. As far as the Gospels I believe in all that to but there is alot from the Books that many seem to believe in but I just cannot seem how much of it is all real it it was thousands or so years ago.....we need to discover more to give millions of more people a more belief into what actual has happened, that brings us here today.

How about you, would you prefer freewill or no will?

If I had no will I wouldn't be aware of my restrictions so i wouldn't care. If you don't have freewill it doesn't matter, the only problem is if you have a free will and somebody restricts you from exercising it. So to answer the question: Frankly I don't care.

We don't even know if we really have a free will: Following the very simple physics law of cause and effect (i.e. [/b]every[/b] effect has a cause)* all the atomic and sub-atomic interactions in our brain or everywhere around us are a direct consequence of the big bang, in other words: me writting this is the result of millions of years of interactions between atoms and whatnot and not a decision of my so-called free will. Of course we're unaware of it, but juts imagine it for one moment: every decision everybody has ever taken, every word everyone has ever said, every fart and every lost hair could be predcited with a big enough computer... and freewill and our imagination, our self-awareness is juts a byproduct of all that... and there's nothing we can do about it. Not a very pleasing idea is it? Do we really have a free will or do we just live under the impression of free will?

Some poeple need God to answer that question from them, I can live and make the best out of my life for myself and others without and answer to questions such as that. I think that after death I will just not be no more, unaware of nothing, no soul going into heaven or whatever, just the way it was before I was born, my mind does not exist after death so neither do I, but even if I'm wrong and judgement day comes, my conscience (so far) is clean. The idea of non-existance after death is an ugly one, but I'm probably right, the world is ugly... some poeple need a god because they can't accept that idea... not my problem.

The Big Bang supports Intelligent Design. Many people are unaware of it, but if there was no Supreme being behind it all, all matter would have been obliterated by anti-matter. So, it is possible that this "Big Bang" is one way things happened through God's Word.

hmm.. i guess you're right. God created something from nothing.

the big bang theory: God spoke and BANG it happened

xD

We don't even know if we really have a free will: Following the very simple physics law of cause and effect (i.e. [/b]every[/b] effect has a cause)* all the atomic and sub-atomic interactions in our brain or everywhere around us are a direct consequence of the big bang, in other words: me writting this is the result of millions of years of interactions between atoms and whatnot and not a decision of my so-called free will. Of course we're unaware of it, but juts imagine it for one moment: every decision everybody has ever taken, every word everyone has ever said, every fart and every lost hair could be predcited with a big enough computer... and freewill and our imagination, our self-awareness is juts a byproduct of all that... and there's nothing we can do about it. [1]Not a very pleasing idea is it? [2]Do we really have a free will or do we just live under the impression of free will?

[1]Hmm, maybe if you added more to this idea, then it might sound unpleasing. I guess it wasn't sufficient enough to be unpleasing. Now i have questions. :([2]I say both.

I'm sure one doesn't require a big computer to predict things. :D

But, for my questions. What happens when you're asleep, do the atoms continue working? Is death the cause of these atoms not working? What if these atoms interact the most when you cause some sort of action? Or think even? Are you now in control of these atoms?

Meh, i wanna ask more, but i can't think of anymore. :)

[hr=noshade]

the big bang theory: God spoke and BANG it happened

:( Mind if i add this to my list of quotes?[/hr]

But, for my questions. What happens when you're asleep, do the atoms continue working? Is death the cause of these atoms not working? What if these atoms interact the most when you cause some sort of action? Or think even? Are you now in control of these atoms?

Yes the atoms never cease to interact with each other, sleep is just a state in which the network of those certain atoms forming our brain does not allow for concious thoughts and self-awareness. No, even after death the atoms keep interacting with each other, but the ueber-complex network they formed in our brain breaks down and doesn't function anymore, i.e. our mind ceases to work. It's basically like a short-circuited computer, the parts are still there but it doesn't work anymore, no calculations no nothing, no thoughts no self-awareness. You could probably compare sleep with rebooting of some sort, everything works but until the computer is booted up (read rested) it can't do anything else. No matter how strongly the atoms interact based on the law of every effect has a cause, every interaction is predetermined whether you believe yourself in control or not. As long as there is no exception to the law of cause and effect, everything form the big bang to the end of the universe is predetermined, whether or not you control a certain group of atoms or not. If you hit a key on your keyboard you "control" the atoms forming that key but that action has been predetermined ever since the big bang so really you're not "in control". It all depends on your point-of-view: from a human point of view, yes you are in control, from an external p.o.v. you're not. It has thus so happened that throgh the complex interactions of atmos in our brains we became self-aware and are thinking, but just because we think doesn't put us in control if all our thoughts are barely the interactions of atoms which have been predetermined ever since the world begam, basically following this theory based on a basic law of physics, everything you think has been predetermined and is basically the result of atomar and subatomar interactions, you thus have no free will it only seems to you like you do from your point of view. And the best part is: you can't beat the system because you're part of it, no outside influence, no breaking the system, even if you try to think something which has not been predetermined and if you take an action totally out of what you would normally it, it has been predetermined just like that, you're not aware of it but ever since the beginning it was clear that you would think or do just that. Unless there is some way to leave the system there is no beating it, one will never be able to achieve free will, no matter how much one is under the impression of it. Even this discussion would be predetermined word by word, dot by dot, and spelling error by spelling error, exactly like that. Alas there is hope... so far physics know of one exception to the law of cause and effect: emission of gamma rays seems to be truely random... unless of course some time soon physicists discover a quantum mechanism which allows for the predcition of gamma-ray emssion. Wicked isn't it?

The question isn't "What is God?," but rather "What is not God?" And the answer to what the question is is nothing, according to the beliefs I believe in.

Don't even try making it a tangible thing.