xisto Community
ghostrider

Robots That Can Touch

That's very interesting, I read the article it was a little bit scary, I mean imagine a robot doing a surgery for you, in the future it will be possible. My neighboor has a dog robot it acts like a servant. For example you tell him to get a drink and it does it immediately. It is rechargeable, and has a camera, a radio, voice recorder. It costed him about 6000 us$. I am thinking of getting one myself. They are pretty much funny Robots!!

Technology is scary. There are limitless possiblities, but I don't want the world to be like irobot lol. when robots take over the world...thats a bad thing

The ability to feel with at least the same degree of sensitivity as a human finger is crucial to the development of robots that can take on complicated tasks such as open heart surgery.

Its a very interesting article, but I don't think I would allow robots (on there own at least) to preform complex surgery. With how may issues we have with technology, I would not trust a robot to go in and preform a surgery that could possibly kill someone or change their life. Surgery has enough dangers already and we don't need the added problem of having a malfunction with the robot as well. I know we user robots in surgery right now, but I wouldn't trust one just left alone to do its thing or left with out a fail safe device in place.

That does sound intriguing but as stated before I don't believe I like the idea of a robot doing my surgery. Sure there might not be the problem of a robot sneezing but what if something in the robot goes wrong and it stops working, like it malfunctions. I don't think I would like it until it is tested more. I am sure doctors won't like it to have robots replace their jobs either after they have gone to school for what 6 years to achieve their job to be replaced by a machine? There would be a lot of people who will sue as well if a robot messes up. Of course there are the good sides of it, it could be more precise hopefully once they fix any flaws.

Thanks for sharing this article. I t just goes to show how fast technology is developing. These sort of braskthroughs will be wonderful for medical purposes and help alleviate pain and suffering and to save lives.I don't think of these things as robots , i thing of it as purely advances in technology.You cannot think of robats as human they do not have and never will have free will like us, that's what makes us human good or bad.

Thats a tad scary. It stated that touch would be crucial to carry out a job such as open heart surgery. Im sorry, but if I was to have open heart surgery, I would want a living, breathing, human. The idea of robots with touch is amazing, but they make it sound like they will be taking the jobs of not only average people, but larger tasks as they develop.

It's interesting how everyone claims that they would never let a robot do open heart or brain surgery on them because the procedure is so delicate and such, but that's exactly the reason why one SHOULD want a robot to perform these tasks. They aren't subject to humor error, confusion, sleepiness, nervousness, shaking hands, etc. They do things perfectly every time, so what is there to fear?

Technology is scary. There are limitless possiblities, but I don't want the world to be like irobot lol. when robots take over the world...thats a bad thing

Yeah, I agree. Maybe it's good that technology is going forward but I'm sure that robots at first will find usage in army and combat. For a couple of years scenario form 'Termiantor' might be our reality, haha.

I really hate it when people think that The Matrix and The Terminator will be a reality simply because a movie shows so. There is a lot more to it than what the movies show. Even if robots did develop some kind of consciousness and such, what purpose would they have for getting rid of humans? There is a certain human aspect that, as far as we know, cannot be simulated.

In my opinion I do not think robots should have much human advanced sences as us humans have. Reason is because they could evolve quickly if not limited very short on what they can do and I do no want to see robots outside in my future that are not controlled or looking like humans because that should not be allowed. Humans are humans and are born with the sences and stuff that we all have and for robots they are created and should have limits on many things because we create them and they shouldn't be smarter then us.

Same here that is why I think scientists should not go too far in devolping futher into making robots more like humans they are machine and we are flesh and blood leave it like that to a certain standards.

Why? Robots can do things more precisely, faster, and safer. There are many things that are too difficult or dangerous for humans to do that a robot could do instead. The difference is that we do not know how (and may never learn how) to program emotions. Even if a computer was able to think, what purpose would it have for emotions? They would only bog it down and contradict it's natural logic. Then, if it had no emotions, it would have no longing to reproduce, take over humanity, kill, etc. It would be the perfect thinking machine. That is the kind of thinking machine we need to rule the world - one that is not influenced by desires, opinions, etc. - only by facts.