xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wolves

Transferring Phpbb Between Servers Please, help

Ok, so, I am trying to get a PHPBB installation from on server to another (changing webhosts). I am aware that it requires more than just transferring the files, and I have attempted backing up and installing on new server, but:

I go to export database on my original server. I open up my fresh PHPBB installation on my new server. I choose "Restore Database" and it works, to a degree. I can login, but I can't go into the administration panel without being re-directed to the one on the original server.

This is incredibly annoying, so any advice would be bliss.

I think that an easier alternative is going into your old phpMyAdmin, exporting ALL THE SQL and then execute the exported commands in you NEW phpMyAdmin. This will recreate the whole database again and I think that there will be no errors, although I am not to sure. Before you try this make sure you create a backup of your hosting account (using cPanel).I've used this method before to migrate many Joomla! and Mambo sites, and there were know errors even though Joomla/Mambo is a more intricate system compared to phpBB so I think this is a fast and efficient way to do it :rolleyes:Hope this helps :lol:Regards,Paul

Hi Paul and thanks for your suggestion, there is one problem, though. When I attempt to login, I am instantly brought into my old server's forums. Is there a file I must change in order to get this to stay on one page? Also, I have done exactly what you asked.EDIT: Also, the confirmation code does not show up when a user attempts to register.

Edited by Wolves (see edit history)

It is either in a file called config.php or somewhere in the database, where the path is set to the forums. Have a look in config.php and if you can't find it then you will have to look through the database and find it. You should just be able to search for your old URL and it will come up with where it is. Just change that to your new URL and it should work, but remember to backup the database first.

Hmmm.. did the phpBB work fine on the old host without mod auto_cookies? or did you have auto_cookies in your previous installation of phpBB?