xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
downpour

Cover Bands? Like em? Hate em?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about cover bands. I personally play in a cover band and also in an original band. There are so many pros and cons for both. Lets hear your thoughts.

and if ya like cover bands ya can check out mine at My Webpage
hehe sorry shameless promotion :)

Well some cover bands are good, but i usually like original songs more. so i must say i don't like them very much. it can be that cover bands are better than the original, but i still prefer original artists :)

I do not like Cover bands because they will never sound as great as the original and I realize they are trying to commit themselves to that but still. They should make music that sounds and is the theme of the band they are honoring but do not try to be the band in person.

That depends on if the cover band is good or not, I mean if they do terrible covers of terrible songs ten no i dont like them, but if the covers are done in a new way, or i'd at least settle for good, then yeah id probably like them, but its down to the sings they cover to coz if I ahted the songs they were covering I would not like them.anyway hope thats somewhat clear to someone because I wrote it and even I have no clue what I'm going on about :D

That's not entirely true Spawn. While yes, most bands won't sound as good as the original, the idea behind a cover band is not to flawlessly cover songs, but instead try and get creative on that respective song, maybe through different phrasing or maybe a different solo. Some really good examples would be Michael Libow's Rod Lightning and the Thunderbolts of Love. They do this jazzy covers of Led Zeppelin or The Doors songs that just blow your mind. Another great one is Richard Cheese, if any of you know him. In the end, it's all about playing music and having fun!

hello there;i have played and still play in many different projects, coverbands and bands creating original material..and i would like to break up or down this separation , what is original? sometimes an original song borders very close to already existing songs, and a coverband may wander far from the original material...lately i have had a lot of fun playing folk music with a violinst of scottish origins ( i play guitar) , and one interesting thing in this aspect is that the disctincion often disappears between covering songs and creating something original (normally improvising!).i think personally in a concert it more matter HOW the band interprets and recreates their material, be it original or not! good evening, or morning!