xisto Community
matto

Is It Safe To Run A Computer Off A Non-grounded Line? Are there any dangers, and if so how much?

Grounding the electrical outlets gives the electricity a safe place to go when something goes wrong. If your stuff isn't grounded, then you run the risk of frying your equipment. And if things go TERRIBLY wrong, you can fry your house too. Grounding an ungrounded outlet is fairly straightforward and easy to do. An electrician can get the job done in just a few minutes. I can't tell you how much it'll cost, because I don't live where you live. Not even in the same state. Whatever you pay the electrician is worth the investment because you'll be able to relax knowing that a power surge or other mishap won't destroy your computer, your house, et cetera.

Grounded electric outlet needed for surge protector to work;Is It Safe To Run A Computer Off A Non-grounded Line?

I just lossed my business machine here in New England we had a large storm and lost power, then it proceeded to flicker on and Off. I unpluged everything pretty quickly after the first wave of outages, yet lossed my machine I have a pretty nice Belkin surge protector but loss the machine anyway. I realized that even though I have a three prong outlet it is still not grounded (after noticing the red light on the belkin telling me exactly that) Now my landlord insists her "Master Electrition" said that the outlet being grounded didnt matter, and that if I had it on a surge protector it wouldnt have happend. The surge protector is brand new and comes with a pretty high Gewl rating (4000) so sometime this week I get to meat this "master" this should be fun. Belkin is standing behind there product 100% and covering the cost of replacment parts. Thank God. It was either that or my insurence or her (landlord) or of course out of pocket expence for my business machine. Any input yawl?

Scott

-reply by I have the same problem

RenterIs It Safe To Run A Computer Off A Non-grounded Line?

Well here is my problem. We just experienced a large stormHere inNew England. My business Computer wasToast once the powered returned. I though it was on a grounded plug and had itOn a top of the line Belkin surge protector. Still it took the hit. (my businessMachine) So I now have my machine in the shop with a new power supply on theWay. Simple fix. So I test the plug and I find that even though it is a threePronged outlet. So I asked my new landlord (that was notified upon move in thatI needed proper power for my office) that I need the plug replaced. So sheCalls her "Master Electrician" and he tells her that the planetsWould have to line up just right for a non grounded plug to cause the failure.And that I could not hirer my own electrician to do the work either. We just signedA new lease so I?m screwed. Renter beware.

-reply by Scott