xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amir691

Scientist Turn Moon Soil Into Oxygen finally

An experiement was done by nasa recently which resulted to moon soil turining into oxygen. This is huge deal, this could confirm that when our little precious world dies we can still survive somehow and not be extinct. Now your all probobly wondering how they did this. A lens focused a beam on sun light on to a moon rock or soil untill the focused beam of light reach 2500C and after that point most of the substance had turned into oxygen. pretty cool i say. Now just try that with mars and we will know for sure that we wont become instinct.hope this interests you guys.post some comments

An experiement was done by nasa recently which resulted to moon soil turining into oxygen. This is huge deal, this could confirm that when our little precious world dies we can still survive somehow and not be extinct. Now your all probobly wondering how they did this. A lens focused a beam on sun light on to a moon rock or soil untill the focused beam of light reach 2500C and after that point most of the substance had turned into oxygen. pretty cool i say. Now just try that with mars and we will know for sure that we wont become instinct.hope this interests you guys.
post some comments

Cool that means or children's childrens's childrens's children wont die out then :)

Unfortunately, this doesn't help much when it comes to food: growing and maintaining it. Where are we going to get the water? Many other questions come about that we need to worry about.

An experiement was done by nasa recently which resulted to moon soil turining into oxygen. This is huge deal, this could confirm that when our little precious world dies we can still survive somehow and not be extinct. Now your all probobly wondering how they did this. A lens focused a beam on sun light on to a moon rock or soil untill the focused beam of light reach 2500C and after that point most of the substance had turned into oxygen. pretty cool i say. Now just try that with mars and we will know for sure that we wont become instinct.hope this interests you guys.
post some comments

IS ALL OF THIS TRUE?! thats crazy!!

Wow! That is so cool. I wonder how much energy had to be used to create such a feat? Would it be viable on a mass scale?And true, this wouldn't really help when it came to food and plants and all that, but I don't really think it can hurt them either. It's a step in the right direction, and I'm always eager to hear what new things they are coming up with next :)Keep it up NASA!

Yeah definitely need to see some credibility to this report, although with today's technology it's definitely possible. As for the food issue mentioned a few posts up, obviously soon enough we'll discover ways for that as well...I mean come on, look at all the fake and chemically preserved and made food we eat today...I don't doubt one day we will have humans living on the moon. Won't be costly at all though :)

Yes, we might discover a way to support food and water, and yes, this may not affect food and water. But, just how much time do we really have? Earth is starting to become a burden on us, if not already started. Oxygen is more easily obtainable than food and water. Just build something with centralized air, like most of us have in our homes. Astronauts dont need air when they're in the shuttle out in space because it's supplied to them. Plus, i hear the moon and other planets protect the earth from certain meteors. What if we were to live on a different planet and be proned to meteors? Such a meteor could tear a hole in the exterior, and it would create a vacuum sucking others out into space, if not all. I'm just saying, there's more that we should be thinking about than just oxygen. Though, i do find it hard to believe that a "laser" turned moon soil into air. And if it did, how do we know the same will happen with other planet's soil? We can only assume it will be the same.

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

Oh yea, I never thought about the whole meteor thing... but if you look at moon pictures, they do have a lot of craters on them, so they must be getting hit, unless they were all made many years ago... But I'm sure if we are advanced enough to start living there, they will figure out something to stop them from hitting too. But still... good point to make.Plus, the credibility point. Where did this information come from, is there a link?

Wow! That?s great news!But I wonder how does soil give out oxygen!Temperature + Soil from the moon = OxygenThis equation really looks cool!But it can?t help man from becoming extinct. One of the problems which may lead to the extinction of Man is Oxygen. This is absolutely true. Sue to man?s deeds, atmosphere of the earth along with the biosphere is getting polluted. If Oxygen can be created in that way, and if man creates it (pretty costly) it may extend his reign on the earth for a few days, because we do not have any Oxygen Problem at present. When the problem will arise, just guess the population of the Earth.In another case, Wars can lead to the extinction of Man. If there is World War III and if all the countries of the world use all their nuclear fuel/warfare tools, the whole world will be destroyed and then Earth will be just ash! In fact, scientists say that if all the countries of the world use all their nuclear fuel (warfare tools) the whole earth can be burnt 7 times!If no war occurs, you have sun as your murderer. After some million years, the sun will be so large (due to continuous expansion) that it will pull Mercury and Venus into itself and the whole Earth will be burnt. Man and the other living creatures which cannot bear adverse temperatures may become extinct years before the Sun actually burns the Earth out. Some special kind of bacteria which can withstand high temperatures will live.In one way or the other, the extinction of Man is sure, but we need not worry about it. Nothing will happen until we live?

I found two sites that had some information about it. But not very much.

http://digg.com/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7403-draw-oxygen-from-moon-dirt-challenges-nasa/

I guess they can be credible sources. If they publish it in a real magazine.

I think it would be long before we ever even see civiliziation on the moon. But this is like the first step I guess. I would never imagine would could change dust or sand into oxygen. Expecially by just focusing a high beam light on it. Sounds so easy yet so complicated. lol. if you know what i mean.

This is really cool, it could lead to life on any other planet as well, imagine oxygen in space! Maybe some day we can actually start living up there. This is great news

Dude. That is amazingly cool. There is a lot of potential for, as you mentioned, increased chances of the human race's survival possibilities. My only worry is that we won't really be able to utilize this possibly valuable resource on a massive scale. We need to heat it to 2500 degrees before we get any oxygen... so what are we supposed to do? Burn the moon up, then go live there? Does the oxygen stay in oxygen form after the temperature goes back down?

Also, as someone (forgot who) in this thread as said, without plants and biogeochemical cycles, the oxygen won't be able to replenish itself and would be deemed useless as it would only be there for a limited amount of time.

And as far as credibility of this discovery goes, after doing a search on Nasa's website (http://www.nasa.gov/), there came up some possible results that indicates that it definitely has some credibility of existance. I don't have time to read the articles that came up, though.