xisto Community
inteluser1000

About Modding Your Pc Can Somebody tell me how to add LEDs to my pc?

Dear Any Body.

I Have a INtel 3.2 Processor with a Intel D(blah blah) GAV motherboard. :) and now i want to cool it up with some modifications. B) i would like to put in some LEDs, just enough to make the light glow out of the casing. (about 4 leds would do). I already read alot of reviews and tuts on how to do it on amd.com and others. but i am not exactly Mr. Nerves of steel :) . and my electronics knowledge is kind of low :) . So can anybody help me with adding the new LED. Like tell me how to add the LED's and what to do.

My power unit is a 400W one.

input 115-230v~

10/6 a

60/50Hz

(Im sorry if this is not the info needed. Just tell me all other needed info.)

Hope there is anybody to help.

i would recomend you take it to a computer shop. Firstly for your own safety and the computers and secondly because you dont know what you are doing. you could mess it up

i would recomend you take it to a computer shop. Firstly for your own safety and the computers and secondly because you dont know what you are doing. you could mess it up

Thankx For the reply. But really, is it that dangurious? and another problem is i live in sri Lanka, here we dont have any shops that modify pc's. So please if there is anyone with prior experience in modifying. HELP ME!!!! :)

Led's are easy to connect but they don't work at 5V or 12V (more like 1,5 V).
So you have to place them in serie with a resistor.
You have to calculate the resistor so that the LED's have the current they need (depending on the specs of the LED).

An other (easier) solution is using a cold cathode lamp, they can be connected directly.
See the link hereunder.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=eUR+Aurora%20Red

Most LEDs need to go in series with a 300R resistor to stop them quite literally exploding, if you are running them from the 5v power supply. You can also get kits that will allow you to directly link up sets of lights into the various power outlets inside the PC. The other option, if you want to make it glow, is to buy components (normally fans) that have lights built into them, so there is no soldering or other electronic components, just like connecting a normal fan up.In some countries you can also buy 'light strings'. These are basically just glowing cables, that you can fix inside the PC case, but you have to be very careful. If one of these strings gets caught in a fan then it might start to rip it up, or the fan will stop and your computer could suffer damage.

well you could just buy to ccfl (cold cathode flourscent lights) these are really power full and you would get the glow you want easily, you can buy these from any good computer modding website and im sure that you will love them, all you have to do is take the side panel off your pc then find a free connector and plug the flourscent light connector into it and bing instant light, better than having to work out ohms law and wire in 4 leds, thats just my idea so when uve dun it psot some images, good luck and have fun

Thankx,

kylelnsn :)

rvalkass :)

kdr_98 :)

tdm :)

By the way, kdr_98, are CCFL safe to use. While waiting for your reply, i checked out a modifiying tute on AMD.COM . It says that CCFL are abit dangarious and should be carefull when using (i told you i'm not Mr. Nerves Of Steel) any way on coolmaster.com do they diliver world wide? and you say that you can directly connect the CCFL to a power out-put from the power unit?

P.S is there anysites where i can get just one side of transparent casing? Like i have a casing and it's not exatly transparent. So can i buy just a side of a casing from anywhere. I spent hour on e-bay but came out with nothing!!!!! B)

Coolermaster is not a shop , it's a brand.
Another Brand with has this produkt is http://de.sharkoon.com/

The problem is that all the shops I know are from Belgium (West-Europe).
Mostly I don't buy anything online.

Why don't you try google (there must be a shop in your country)
other wise try yo find a shop in the U.S.A.

The lamps are worldwide used for some years, so they must safe if you place them correctly.
They may not be loose in your case.

you could also try to but some led fans, that fit your case, the light would shine out of the fan vents and you wouldnt have to worry about getting aside of the case, Cathodes are mostly safe, but I have heard of them exploding, so whatever way you want to go it is your choice.