xisto Community
tdm

Server Computer Server Computer

A few days ago i deicided to invest in a computer which i made the server computer for my LAN. I decided it needed upgrading so i whiped down the bank and bought the components.Currently the server computer runs a dream.I was wondering if anyone else runs a server computer?And how there's runs?

My friend runs his own server using an old PC he had that he just upgraded a bit. It took us a while to get Apache and MySQL working, but PHP was pretty easy. So far I think it has been online for over 2 months with no problems and it seems to run pretty well. The only problem is that it's a quite old PC and it doesn't run particularly fast.

yeah i know a fair few people who run file servers at home but today i was reading about how to host your own website and it got me thinking, i might try hosting my own website form home, but it depends if i can get that acient box in the garage working, if i have any luck ill tell ya all, but for now its gonna be a task to get it workingwhat spec is your file server then? what u run off it? and wats one it?anyways lets see ur uptime hopefully longa than 3 months lol

If you are new to installing server software, I would suggest you to install XAMPP. It is a free web server software in a package that consist of Apache web server, PHP, MySQL as the basics and others. This is a good alternative to newbies like you which saves the trouble of installing each application one by one. XAMPP installs everything together in a single setup. All you need to do is to configure the administrative settings and your web server is good to go.
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

As I am setting up a wireless internet connection, I would like to share it with my brother, and I would like to put up a server, or router, to rephrase it :)It will most likely be some old machine presumably a P2 or P3, I will put Linux on it (most likely it will be a new Ubuntu distribution), and at first, I would only use this computer as a router, and will probably install Apache, MySQL, PHP and god knows what more, and make a real living server... Maybe put up UnrealIRCd on it :DServers that will have Linux as their OS, don't need to be powerfull machines, as they should be when puting Windows on it, and they actully run pretty smoothly, considering they are going to be used for non-profesional needs, and with a small number of users at the same time...Anyways, servers are such a great thing :), but they may be difficult to set up, even for intermediate computer users...

hi, I have created a server in my home. This a computer that connected to internet directly. Which have a software called wingate was installed to function as rounter and firewall. It also redirect traffic from the internet to internal network. Besides that, also function as web server.Basically, I will open it for a week, then turn off and on again for few hours to make the hard drive stable and smooth running. It is installed with windows nt 4.0 w/ sp6a and was a old machine [ Pentium 166 w/ 96mb ]. Not too long, the system with be replace with linux system. I think that will make it more faster and use less resource. To archive easy maintainence, I dont close the cover and hold the temperture as low as possible. As this writing, it works fine. :) What do you think of my job? :)

I'm using an old computer as router, webserver.I have installed it with IPCOP and XAMP.It's not always up, I just use it as router and for testing website development.The hardware is a P2 / 300 MHz with 192 MB RAM , the harddisk is 4 GB.seems pretty old but it seems to work, for the webserver is it a bit slow certainly if there are serveral visitors at the same time.For a better webserver you need 256 MB or more.

I created a server using just IIS (that is included in MS Windows) that was accessible to anyone that knew my ip (just me of course), but I set it up on port 89 to improve security. Then I created an account at http://www.noip.com/ to be able to manage my own dns and created a redirection using one of its sub-domains, and that instead of having to type the address with the ":89" to be able to access the computer, I created a redirection to port 80 too.It worked great for a while, but I couldn't keep running it because I had really no use for it nor I could keep spending electricity like I was..And when it comes to php stuff I take that advice that Inspiron said, that's almost like having owr own host in our own computer, and then we host ourselves in! :) (just kidding.. or not?)

runing a website isnt to hard to set up but your I.P. will continually change through your isp. there are free services that will make a virtual ip to get away w/ this. but I also garantee that if you get lots of hits the isp will monitor bandwith find out your running a server which is against thier TOS and then wait for a few months of you doing this and send you a bill for the difference of thier regular connection that you pay for and thier dedicated server package that is usually around $150.00 a month.