xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amhso

What Is 4'33"? A piece by John Cage

John Cage wrote a piece called 4'33" (The name refers to how long it is played, depending how long he played it, he'd name it different). It was a creation inspired by a visit to harvard. This "classical piece" contains 3 movements. But it's not as complicated as any classical piece would seem. It consists of 4'33" of silence by the performers. I guess this sounds pretty retarded. I think so too. But there is a concept behind this "song." Having people listening to themselves, the sounds they make, the sounds their neighbors make. It also brings up the question, "What really is music?" Many composers have said that "rests are also part of the music." Does that count for an entire piece of silence? Some think so, some not. It's a controversial component of classical music nowadays. Was John Cage smart to make such a piece. Although many of his other works were very inspirational, this seems like a veer towards another idea. (There have also been other relations to the number 4'33")If you want, go ahead and look on wikipedia for more.

Yeah I've heard of that. Actually the concept is pretty innovative. Silence has been revered as golden, a virtue, and peaceful. So yes I do believe that this can also be music in a way.