xisto Community
JC05

Strange Thing Happened To My Computer

I was on my computer a couple nights ago. Chatting with some friends and email what have you. And all of a sudden, It froze. I was like, Oh great. So i shut down the computer using the button. And then i flipped it on. Nothing happend, it sounded like it turned on but the power light that stays on all the time. Wasn't on. I tryed to shut down a couple more times with no succese. I thought to my self, Oh my gosh! the mother of all virus's. I got one! I tryed one last time, but i unpluged the power cord and then plugged it back in. It worked! Thank you! If you ever have this problem, Just calmly shut down the computer, Unplug the power cord, plug it back in, and pray it works. If not......Then you can panic.

Oh yes, it's better than the mother of all viruses. Probably it's just a lose power cable of the one connecting to your CPU or your monitor. You might have kicked those cables or a lizard went passed it.. <_< Unplugging them and replugging shows that it works with a tighter power cable connection.Nice troubleshoot answered..

unplugging and replugging in is always my first answer at any sign of trouble. A couple of days ago, I lost my internet connection and I was calmy unplugging the modem when I looked behind me and my mom was on the phone with tech support. They gave the same solution.

My laptop went funny once and i had to take the batery out and then it worked afterwards. Maybe it something to do with the RAM not clearing properly or something to do with circuitry, or just a dodgey lead <_<

maybe it was overheated, and in the time it took for you to unplug and replug in it cooled down enough to be completely operational again.just maybe. <_<

That sounds like it could be the loose cable story from what you said but it could also be a dodgy power supply i have had that a few times. It seems that a dodgy power supply will either overheat and after that will not let you restart the machine till it cools down, or sometimes it would just do what ever it wants if it is not working 100% correctly. But if it has not happened again after that then you can safely say that it is a loose cable that cuased the problem.

I have found that sometimes a computer will freeze for a number of reasons. If you have too many windows going sometimes the computer gets overwhelmed with all the stuff going on. Once in a while my computer temporarily freezes. So usually I just give it a couple of minutes before I try the reboot thing. Sometimes it does freeze because its overheated. Usually that happens when I have had the computer on for a very long time. Also loose cables will also cause a computer to freeze. After all when we walk around and when noises happen they cause vibrations that can slowly loosen the cables and eventually cause problems. I does not hurt once in a while to check your cables for loosness. <_<

i once had this problem.....................had to call a computer expert to look @ it.....turned out that my mother-board was burned....<_<then i had to get a new mother-board..........believe it or not, after 2 days, the new one also burnt down.......i must be the only person here to use up 3 mother boards in 3 days...

Well, I hate to tell you guys and gals, It is still happening to me. My power cord is just fine, nothing in the computer is burnt, lol, and I can't figure out what the problem is. I will just be sitting at my computer, not doing anything, I stop for a second, turn away, look back, and what do you know, it is frozen. I look down at the power light on the tower and it is off. The computer is still running but the light it off and the computer is frozen. SO, like i did before i hold the power botton to shut down, unplug and re plug the power cord, boot up and it's like nothing ever happend. What?? I just do not understand this at all.

Well, I hate to tell you guys and gals, It is still happening to me. My power cord is just fine, nothing in the computer is burnt, lol, and I can't figure out what the problem is. I will just be sitting at my computer, not doing anything, I stop for a second, turn away, look back, and what do you know, it is frozen. I look down at the power light on the tower and it is off. The computer is still running but the light it off and the computer is frozen. SO, like i did before i hold the power botton to shut down, unplug and re plug the power cord, boot up and it's like nothing ever happend. What?? I just do not understand this at all.

You said the power light is off when the computer freezes? I'm suspecting that you've not got enough power for your system. Check your power supply and upgrade it if needed. You may need to calculate the total watts needed for all the devices in your computer. You may need an electronic engineer for help in detail.

I have a chart that shows the wattage needed for low, mid, or high grade equipment. And it list's the type like, HDD, Ram, motherboard and stuff. So i might need to calulate that all out. Maybe i don't have enough. Thanks!

My computer resources suddenly shot up high. Everything slowed. I tried scan for virus using the latest AVG but no avail.It's been plague my pc for a month. The only reason I've been tolerant is because it happens once in a few days.

Yes but sometimes it is dangerous to unpluging things on the computer. My friend unpluged his whole computer to move it someplace else and then his computer crashed from viruses.I think it is because when you unplug it something happens with the virus protection and it gets disabled. I also take computers and tecnology in highschool. So be carful cause you never really know.

Yes but sometimes it is dangerous to unpluging things on the computer. My friend unpluged his whole computer to move it someplace else and then his computer crashed from viruses.
I think it is because when you unplug it something happens with the virus protection and it gets disabled. I also take computers and tecnology in highschool. So be carful cause you never really know.

I'd like to say not possable, but I won't, I'd still like to say highly unlikely. Viruses can't do anything while the computer is unplugged, and don't know if the computer has been unplugged, perhapse it was the restart, but certalny not unplugging it.

Anyway back to the problem at hand, it very well could be the power, if you have any extra HDDs or CD drives try unplugging them and seeing what happens, also a program that will record total power usages and report it to a log (you obvously can't look at the program when the computer freezes, and restarting will clear any information it may have had)

Do you have a gateway pc? I have on and it has done that before. It does it too sometimes when i plug in my psp or ipod when the computer is using large amounts of RAM. The first time i freaked out.