xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ibsu

Worthy Of A Vent? WASTING PAPER.

I hate it!My teachers used to copy 800+ papers for dumb one-sided crossword puzzle/coloring assignments. Who the hell does that... oh wait, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY TEACHERS. That's stuff for elementry students. And there was always 500+ copies left. They only needed to copy like... 50-100 sheets.That caused a major paper shortage in the school, teachers had to bring in their own. Serves them right. Stupid bubbleheads. It really ills me when people just scrape a perfectly fine sheet of paper because they made a mistake the size of a quarter. I did that once by mistake and I wanted to give up on life. (jking lol...)

Well the reason you might think those teachers are "bubbleheads" is because there are so many more "bubblehead" students that lose sheets all the time. I'm not sure what your school is like, but back in college here, people were losing things left and right, even I, lost a sheet or two back in the day. And most teachers here don't have extras, so if you lose one, you're in the wrong.Count yourself lucky you have teachers willing enough to spend the limited money they make on you unforgiving, inconsiderate students. Keep that in mind, those teachers work loads harder than you, and you give them no credit, but they carry on. Why? Because it's what they like to do, and no they probably didn't chose that job for the money, trust me.

^ Didn't happen there. And your not really reading what I'm saying. :-\ If it's actual work, I don't mind. But on dumb pointless crossword puzzles just to fill up the day... it's a waste (read carefully, you'll notice that's my complaint :-\ ). And no money was spent by them, they use the papers pre-loaded by the school.

Edited by ibsu (see edit history)

I agree that over printing 400 sheets is a waste of paper but I don't believe this is a common occurance in many school. In my experience teachers are stict when it comes to paper usage. Also, I wouldn't consider printing crossword puzzles to be a complete waste of paper. It still is an activity and you are still doing something with the paper.What I think it a waste is only using one side of a sheet of paper. If people used both sides they could cut down paper usuage in half. I've seen a lot of notebooks where only one side is used.

Up until last year my university had a problem with people overprinting things (people would print a 80 page pdf just to get 3 pages, and throw the rest out, etc). Then computing services came up with a brilliant solution. They tracked users' consumption and figured out that something like 98% of people print less than 1600 pages a semester. Then they installed a quota system on printing where each person gets given $40 free quota (1600 pages if they print double-sided) per semester, and anything after that they have to pay for themselves. Even though the quota system's just the illusion of money (tuition's actually a very small amount less since we don't have to pay for the heavy printers) printing usage dropped to 1/3 of what it was previously. It was amazing.

wasting paper is something that doesn't just happen in schools, it happens in offices a huge amount also. Its partly due to the fact that nobody seems to care about things when the company is paying. where i work people pront out copies and hand them out of half the notices that are made on our internal computer network, so they're basically printing something which is available quicker and easier elsewhere.stupid people

I don't think that's ever been an issue at my school at all. Teachers print out 30 copies or so and then reuse them for all of their classes making us waste notebook paper. That way, instead of wasting the school's money, we're wasting our parents money even though they already pay tax money which is supposed to go towards paper and such like that. Our school also recycles paper we throw into special boxes in each classroom but every one just throws paper away instead of putting it in the box that we have in the classroom. I think the quota thing is a good idea and our computer teacher should know that. We print out these dull assignments that she grades even on the computer just to toss them into the recycle box.Over printing isn't the only problem that we have you see. What did your teachers end up doing with the rest of the papers that they copied? Did they throw them away or did they recycle them? If they recycled them, it doesn't matter anyway because they got put to a better use. if thrown away then your school has an even bigger problem on their hands...

Wow and I thought my school wasted paper! My vent is about how schools do not provide enough paper. I bought a bunch of notebook paper at the beginning of the year thinking it would be enough because the school is supposed to supply the worksheets but I was wrong. When the year was one quarter over all my paper ran out. I bought four packs of paper and it should have been sufficient for the grade I was in at the time. The reason all my paper was gone was pointless assignments. We had to take notes for history when it was right there in front of us in the book. All those notes were graded but the reason we had to do them was for help on the exam. Our exam had nothing to do with the notes we took at all! I have a hard time reading my notes anyway so I usually read the whole book a few times before the exam anyway. All the time we were forced to spend on notes that came to be books at the end of the year had no purpose! Schools just do not know how to manage paper of their own or others. They would be better off with a paper quota including student notebook paper so they don't give out pointless work. That was only in one class I used all that paper in so what does that tell you.

My school used to not have very many restrictions on paper (plus, the teachers have used the paper wisely). However, now my school has a paper shortage. Now, they can barely even print from their own computers because of it. With as much money as the schools make from taxes, you'd think it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Another thing, most people in my school place the paper they don't need in the recycling bins. I never realized that schools waste paper so much.

I wish other people (including those not in school), would realize just how much they are wasting when they use it for things that aren't extremely important.

It is crazy when teachers print out too many papers. They should print no more than 125% of what they need. That way, if one out of every four students lost their worksheet, they would still come out even.What ever happened to teachers saying "you lose it once and that's it?" If I lost my worksheet, the teachers would just give me an F so I was careful with it.Once, my school ran out of white paper and they ended up using colored paper. It was a mystery what color the next worksheet would be in. <_<