xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deneb Rhode

Barebone-made Laptops: Are They Good/possible? Im thinking about it...

Recently I have looking for a laptop to me, but I noticed that most of them were imported--so utterly expensive, at least here in Brazil. Then I saw in the Internet that was possible to assemble a laptop of several pieces, as is common with desktop computers--the so-called "barebones". However, if is really possible, by some strange reason I don't see much of these "no-specific-brand" laptops being sold (and in the case of desktop computers, there are lots of them).I keep wondering if there's something that causes problems or malfunctioning in the assembling of a laptop made into a barebone--and even if I didn't have readed wrong the information that a laptop could be assembled into a barebone. I really would like to have a "pedigreed" laptop, but the prices here don't help: for a HP average laptop, I would pay the same that I could pay in two desktop computers.So...barebones are a good/possible idea in this case or not?Deneb <_<

Lets called it Assembled laptop. I think if a very professional guys assemble parts together it should be working fine and it could be good. It will rather depend on the kind of configuration you assemble together to make a laptop whether it is good or not. The higher the configurations the better. And for Processor you should go for Intel Pentium Centrino which is meant specially for Laptops, it has got high heat resistance unlike Intel Pentium IV, Celeron processors and AMD processors. So, the short answer is YES, it could be good or bad depending on the kind of configuration you put up together. All the best!

A barebones laptop is possible, but normally everything is specifically designed for that laptop. The actual housing of the laptop is normally styled and designed specifically for one model with certain features and it is therefore very difficult to put other components in it. As is the same with desktops, you need to make sure everything you get is compatable with everything else, but space is more of an issue and you need to get dimensions for everything.

If you can, try and get hold of a few old laptops, even if they don't work, and just look at the components inside, how everything is arranged and think why it has been done like that. You might also see all the different designs and layouts they have.

Yes, you can build your own laptop/notebook computer, but it will probably cost you a lot more and might not work first time.

i dont think it's worth it. it will end up costing more than just buying one. desktop's can be done this way for a cheaper cost because they are more common and parts are much cheaper. Laptop ram and harddrives cost a lot. purchasing the parts individually to put together is going to cost more.