xisto Community
alfredglenstein

For Those That Beleive In Creationism

http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/creationism-dismissed-as-a-kind-of-paganism-by-vatican-s-astronomer-1-1116595

BELIEVING that God created the universe in six days is a form of superstitious paganism, the Vatican astronomer Guy Consolmagno claimed yesterday.
Brother Consolmagno, who works in a Vatican observatory in Arizona and as curator of the Vatican meteorite collection in Italy, said a "destructive myth" had developed in modern society that religion and science were competing ideologies.

He described creationism, whose supporters want it taught in schools alongside evolution, as a "kind of paganism" because it harked back to the days of "nature gods" who were responsible for natural events.

Brother Consolmagno argued that the Christian God was a supernatural one, a belief that had led the clergy in the past to become involved in science to seek natural reasons for phenomena such as thunder and lightning, which had been previously attributed to vengeful gods. "Knowledge is dangerous, but so is ignorance. That's why science and religion need to talk to each other," he said.

"Religion needs science to keep it away from superstition and keep it close to reality, to protect it from creationism, which at the end of the day is a kind of paganism - it's turning God into a nature god.

I just wanted to say, if there can be any religious authority that is closest to the voice of objectivity on this issue, I beleive it is the Vatican. Besides the sad half-arguments offered (trying to seperate Macro and Micro evolution which are one in the same but only seperated for the sake of conceptualization and interpretation) it should be allowed that evolution and christianity are not mutually exclusive. I think it ends up being something of a pet cause, so you know you are at least doing something in the name of god, to take up this issue and fight for it. It's a phony fight that has more to do with ones religion and need to act in service of it than with their conviction of what is true.

God created us in his own image so I do not see how one can say God and Evolution can co-exist if God created evolution. I don't see why people can think it is impossible for a supernatural creator to just create the world, the 6-day thing may not necessarily mean 24 hour period days because the bible can be both literal and figurative.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/creationism-dismissed-as-a-kind-of-paganism-by-vatican-s-astronomer-1-1116595

I just wanted to say, if there can be any religious authority that is closest to the voice of objectivity on this issue, I beleive it is the Vatican. Besides the sad half-arguments offered (trying to seperate Macro and Micro evolution which are one in the same but only seperated for the sake of conceptualization and interpretation) it should be allowed that evolution and christianity are not mutually exclusive. I think it ends up being something of a pet cause, so you know you are at least doing something in the name of god, to take up this issue and fight for it. It's a phony fight that has more to do with ones religion and need to act in service of it than with their conviction of what is true.

The problem I have with "The Theory Evolution" is htat it is taught in schools as if it is a proven fact. Theory: "An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture". I have no problem with the theory itself. Teaching children "Evolution" and not the "Theory of Evolution" is a disservice to the scientific community. The scientific community of today is no different then in the 1300s and so on, when they were sure the sun revolved around the earth and the world was flat. So sure...

My school the teachers aren't allowed to spark up discussion about Evolution. And to say that there are both widly accepted versions of how the earth came to be and everything else. there will be students that argue for both sides and it doesn't really get anywhere. there will always be things to discredit the other.

I am a christian person, I do not believe in the theory that we evolved from a monkey. I believe that their are three major reasons for which that we are totally be able to discredit the theory of evolution. The major one that every one over looks and is probably more signifgant is the fact that science states the energy can not be made or destroyed. Well things that do not have property of energy can not make energy. It is not possible because pf the statement that emergy cannot be made or destryoed. Now the other one is the one that everyone and their grandma uses. That if we evolved from something then why are what we evolved from not evolving right now. I agree with this statement to a certian extent. But what people fail to realize is that if something was to evolve that it would take possibly billions of years and not just one week. But The thing is that we have not seen a even the slightest major evolutional change in an animal. Also animals adapting to the environment is not something that applys in this situation. But over thousands of year that we have studied animals we have not recorded a signifcant change in them. The last reason is that how is it possible to make life from no life. How and the world can some dust come to life? It just does nt work.

1. Will a clerk or an astronomer working in Vatican determine our faith?. Even now day there are many non-christian people are working in Catholic Organization.

2. For 2000 years anti-Christianity trying stopping Christianity by all means but haven't succeeded and will not. Neither by books or films or what one say in book or film or focusing what this say or that think will not succeed.

3. I tell this journalist or the writer of the article, that saying "Christian God " is wrong. Christian believe in the same God as Jews or Muslims. [see my posting in this forum with headings: "We Believe In The Same One God "

God is the same for the three religion since HE is the God of Abraham. The name of God depends on language. For example the Arabic Christian use word Alah as the name in God as the Muslim because God in Arabic is Alah. But Muslim in all countries use Alah because they use Koran in Arabic . Koran is not allowed to be translated but in the internet time they put Koran in English in the net and called it is translation of meaning. I don't understand the difference between translation and translation of meaning. I explained to the people in former Soviet Union that it is wrong to say that Christian has "Bog" as God while Muslim has Alah. I told him Bog in Russian is God in English, Gotten in German and Alah in Arabic.

4. Of course relegion and real science can and must live together. I stress on real not the Historical Science or origin science which are not science at all. There are many things is called science but is not the real science.

5. There are many meaning to the word evolution and what religion people denies is the macro evolution. See my posting in this forum headings: "Evolution Is Not Science Nor Scientific Theory, Evolution" at:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34318-evolution-is-not-science-nor-scientific-theory-evolution/

where you find the different types of Evolution. I wonder after the clarification we didn't hear from the evolutionist [i.e Darwinism] people and there were few replies and argue.

6. Please, see also the topic in the forum : "Intelligent Design Vs. Evolution " where I said:

1. In fact neither Creation nor Evolution nor Designl Intelligence should be taught in science classes or in school in general.

2. I am scientist to highest degree and I stress that Evolution is not science but belief. Evolution is Fiction and not Facts. There are known method of proof. There are nothing to proof this hypothesis . you can't use the scientific method on it or experiment with it either. There is definition to science and Evolution don't satisfy it. Evolution hijacked the science and is continuing to do so by shouting and the passive actions for the believer.

3. All science branches can be taught without Evolution. I wonder how was the Biology, Genetics [started by monk in monstry] Astronomy , Chemistry, Physics was taught before this Evolution hypothesis. Moreover Mathematics and Computer and Physiology, Anatomy, Medicine Health Sociology, Business Studies, Languages don't needs the Evolution hypothesis. How many great invention were made before it. How many scientist in past and now [included me ] are believer. The problem is the minority are winning by shouting and majority are loosing by their passiveness. It is minority dictatorship which enforces their belief[not the facts] on the majority [ Why we blame Hitler then]. They repeat their leaders blided and attack any opposition.

4. I was one of the pioneer students who studied Darwinism in 1959 [i.e 47 years ago] by my choice because it was optional subject. I considered it as the English novel "The lost world " [which about dinosaurs and missing link ] was in our curricula in that time too. I answered it as we quoted now what the other say but not what I believe. I got 27 from 30 [i don't forget things happened since 3 years old age. It is Gift from God].

Science and Religion can work hand in hand in my opinion. Only people try to use science for their own vendeta against religion. I think of Science as a way for explaining how God made the universe work, when you look at the bible it has some passages that can be seen as scientific, such as somewhere in Psalms it says"By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible."At a time when the basic structure of matter was unknown, nearly two thousand years ago, the author of the book of Hebrews accurately described the fact that the matter we can see is made of particles which are not visible in natural light. It is a fact of physics that any particle that is smaller than the wavelength of light will in fact be invisible to the naked eye or light microscopes. The atom and its sub-atomic particles, are smaller than the wavelength of visible light and therefore, are invisible. Back then if you talked about atoms, protons, neutrons, and electrons they wouldn't know what you are talking about, I believe that religious teachings two thousand years ago where taught in a way for the people in that time period to be able to understand.

Science can be a way to describe, devine and show Gods work.

With science we can see all these creation to their sub-atomic levels and if we look closely we can even see a pattern, so science can also be used to enhance faith and admire all these works.

I do believe in evolution as well, and I'm sure evolution was also one of the pattern God used to create.

I really don't like Darwin, but I think we are partly evolved from some apisch being lol and the other part will reveal itself in time. I just don't understand why people don't like the fact we are half-apes, monkies are also children of God, so....

Anyways, science and faith can work perfectly together... It worked about 10000 years ago and it could work now as well, as long as the people want it to.

Evolution is wrong for a few simple reasons:1) Evolution states that based on pure randomsness that single celled creatures were able to mutate into what lif eis today. Total randomness denotes chaos. And Chaos does not exist. Look at the simplest form in the universe, a sphere, which has order. Humans are equal (for the most part) on both sides of there body along with most ofther creatures. Chaos or randomness would not allow this to happen.2) The Big Bang Theory? Please! How can you create somethign from nothing? Only God can do that. And saying that because of the big bang that the universe is expanding? Wrong, expansion denotes boundries, so what is outside the boundry?3) Look at the human body. Are you telling me that the humans during evolution, changed only outwardly? Mutation of evoltuion is not just an outward change but an inward change as well to adapt to the environment around them. So the food that we need to survive, the water, the environment changed to suit us? I don't think so.Jusy my thoughts. there are more of them.