xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ibsu

Dead Or Alive Series Fighting genre.

Anyone a fan of DOA? I sure am! Not because I like fighting games but because of the storyline and the characters. I LOVED how DOA4 ended (the final tournament), it was emotional and so fit. The Queen of DOA, obviously Helena, had me when I first played her. I love how my favorite character is the most important in the storyline. She's reserved (and somewhat cold) but has a striking attitude when she's about to fight. Remember the cutscene between her and Kasumi in DOA4? She put a gun to her head and said she's not useful anymore! LOL~ Plus she's beautiful and has a mesmerizing fighting style.

Edited by ibsu (see edit history)

Before I start any review that gives this game lots of stars and doesn't address the AI or difficulty of this game is a fake review. Probably from a person who has a load of boxes full of DOA4 lying around like a bad drug. I have had the game for about 2 months now and feel I'm in position to give an honest review Firstly the game looks amazing, great interactive backgrounds, character details, a reasonable number of characters and costumes plus great end movies. All this game needed was reasonable gameplay and it would have been a great game, but Team Ninja or as I like to call them Team Numbskull, have failed and kind of ruined the game. When I first got the game DOA4 was probably the most frustrating unenjoyable game ever! People, who say that this is a good thing, probably pay women in leather to whip them. And that is how I felt when I first started playing the game. I paid �50, which is about $80 and god knows how much yen to get my **bottom** kicked. There is nothing more annoying than a game where the CPU can do things a Player can't do. The CPU can do all these fancy throws and counter throws, while it is near impossible for Players to pull off a simple throw. With a lot of practice you might be about to counter a CPU move once in a blue moon, but it is more down to luck than Judgement. The gameplay also isn't organic. If the CPU player is low on energy the CPU player will pull off a 10 to 15 hit combo out of nowhere to bring your energy down. While that is okay sometimes, when it happens every round it makes the gameplay artificial, predictable and unenjoyable. What makes that worst is the fact that the CPU can counter throw player combos easy, while it is again near impossible for players to block or counter CPU combos. Especial the last boss who can actually throw, not a counter, you while you are punching and it's this unfairness that makes the game unsatisfying. Players are better off just pressing buttons fast because the minute you try to pull off good moves the CPU hits you more. I know a lot of the reviews say it is great that is hard because it sorts out the men from the boys, but I think that kind of gamer elitism is wrong, because if I don't want to fight psychic CPU opponents then there should be an easy option. After a lot of practice I am very good at the game and the game becomes slightly easier. You learn you can't do the same move more than twice in row and with characters (La Mariposa) that have fast combos that hit high and low the game becomes more reasonable. I've finished the game with all the characters, but the game just isn't that fun. Because there is no easy level to experiment and use a range of moves or tactics so the game becomes boring even when you are winning. I play games fun and relax from work. DOA4 just seems like work. The music is mostly Rubbish J-Rock. When will Japanese game companies learn from Grand Theft Auto, we are the Ipod generation, so we want to hear real music in our games, rather than the work of some poor guy in their Music department producing average music. And why the hell do all the characters speak Japanese? I know there are subtitles, but surely given most of the world speaks English it would of made sense to have a game with English voices and Japanese subtitles. There is also something very subversive about the character Zack with I just don't like. I think useless you are some kind of Professional Games Player then I wouldn't get it. It's an expensive that does not deliver in the most important thing gameplay. If Team Ninja for made this way deliberately then I won't be buying anymore of there games. DOA4 is a beautiful game, but I say if you like nice pictures go to a gallery not and don't pay for this game that becomes dull fast. Bring on Tekken 5, where the characters speak English, there is an easy and normal level, the throw moves isn't pointless and the game is fun to play.

^Why do you feel the whole world should speak english? It's made by Japanese producers for Japan, who also wanted to release it to America. FYI, they did hire english voice actors for DOA2 but they all really STUNK. They didn't bother to put in english voices for DOA3 and DOA4. English being the most spoken language in the world is not a reason.DOA doesn't have any J-rock tracks. It's all american rock. You sure you know what you're saying? And Tekken 5 has japanese, english, british english, chinese and korean voices... Korean characters like Baek and Hwoarang speak korean, the japanese characters speak japanese and the english players like Steve Fox speak english.

Edited by ibsu (see edit history)

hmm i say the whole world should speak english and japanese only. becuase i love the japanese language but do not understand but want to understand it lol. And im a fna of this genre and game. I love the beach volleyball type lol and the chicks are hot. hehe