xisto Community
mama_soap

Google Summer Of Code Call for student programmers - this is a fun opportunity

Hello everyone:

If you have not heard of it already, then you should be heading straight here if you are a student with decent programming abilities and a strong sense of enthusisasm for open source projects (find more details at the site). It's an internship opportunity - you get to work with some of the leading open source projects of the day - over a period of three months, and the financial reward amounts to $4500.

If you are not a student, but a well established developer, then - as fas as I understand - you can also apply for mentorship.

Hope this is useful for the potential developers at Xisto <_<

Please note that non-students and teams are not allowed.

Cheers!

Intersting, shame im not all that brilliant at programming and i have things like college to worry about :lol: Sounds like a decent way of getting open source projects to be known and to get people to understand them. I think the problem today is too many proprietry things like norton and such are just taking over we need more open source to make software more reliable and this seems like a good way of going about it. Also its great to see so many companies getting involved in this, they get free advertising and we get free open coursce with any luck. itll be interesting to see what software comes out of these projects and hopefully it'll lead the way for more things like this to happen. <_< Thanks for the info, its definately something to read over.

Shadowx:You might still consider applying - you never know when Google might surprise you <_< Indeed, it is a huge exposure for open source projects; on the other hand, it also breaks the myth that OSS developers never get paid for what they do :lol: The fact that it is a paid internship definitely enhances the enticement factor.Hope to see you, and some others, participating. Too bad if your college worries weigh too heavily on you :lol:Cheers!

So, do you go to a building and meet other programmers, or is all of the interaction done over the internet. As a programming savvy, enthusiastic student, I would be most interested, but I don't think being in the UK would allow to participate.