xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hamtaro

Computers And My School Not a very good combination

All computer teachers have no idea what they are doing when it comes to computers. This year we had an Excel project in computer class. We had to convert miles to kilometers for something I am not sure what it was. My computer teacher said their was a formula to do this and she said its not the one for multiplying the cells. Many people including myself told her their was no such formula. She said there was and some kid claimed to get it working. It turned out to be the multiplication formula the teacher said we can not use but she was telling us to use it then. We also could not copy him we had to come up with our own formula which is not possible. Talk about knowing nothing about computers. She had an even worse time teaching us HTML. When we had to create our final pages, which were disgraces by the way since she taught us nothing about CSS so we could not get decent looking pages. I figured I learned something useful and went on HTML help sites to advance my skills. I come to realize she did not even tell us the first starting tag (the document type). If she is teaching us HTML she should have taught us that if you ask me.

Wow, some of your situations are much worse than mine! I never thought there'd be so many schools with computer teachers that know very little about computers! I thought that it was just where I lived in Kentucky (which just about the whole state knows very little).

Anyway, I also got into a situation at the public library. They have that stupid auto-complete on for IE (and it is a public account, which is actually the only one). I was going to disable auto complete so I could log in to Xisto (I don't like stuff like that). The person there saw me, and apparantly thought I was messing with something else. She told me, "You're not supposed to be on that. If you do that again, you will have your Internet privileges taken away." That was as if I knew nothing about them!

It seems like people like that are everywhere. I wonder if there's anything I could possibly do about these people.

I took a computer class in my senior year of high school. That was in 1985. The year before my brother had helped them install a computer system. It was state of the art at the time. It consisted of a host terminal and 16 offshoots. The system used TRS 80s (trash 80s to us). We learned pascal. I was good at it and often helped other students. It was there that I discovered that not everyone thought like I did and they had alternative ways of doing things that often worked just as well or better. I had an assignment to create an alphabetizing program. My version took 2 hours to alphabetize 2000 names. It was considered fast for the time and they used it for the schools administration records. What I learned in that class was very valuable and I use it even now. Programming principles are pretty much the same no matter what the language is. It is funny to hear these people complain about not being able to use the computers fully at school. Remember there was a time when we didn't have them at all.

My school has finally made me EXTREMELY mad! First of all, I need to explain sosme stuff: Duriing this week (for three days, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) we had testing. We had to sign up for after-testing activities (during those days, we did nothing after we tested). Well, the only one I really wanted, was the Internet. I signed up for it on all three days.

On my first day, I did everything I always do when I get on a school computer: Stick in my flash drive, and launch Portable Firefox (I'm not sparking a FF vs. IE conversation) because I hate IE. Nobody said a word. Plus, I'd been using it for over a year at school, anyway. Well, the next day, the computer lab teacher (who is pretty much computer illiterate), started fussing about me using some program she doesn't know about. Well, I'm not the only one who uses it, either. Two of my friends do. Plus, a lot of people were playing games that they downloaded from the Internet. She said that she talked to the principal, and he said that we couldn't use a program that wasn't already on the computer (stupid, isn't it? They even said that it wasn't a concern for viruses, either. I don't get the point in what they said). Oh, and I might add that the principal is also computer illiterate. Well, I did as they said (even though I hate IE), and didn't use Firefox the rest of the day.

Now comes the next day (today). It turns out, that they took me out of the Internet just simply because I used Firefox!!!! That ticks me off so bad!!! If you ask me, they're just afraid of people using new programs! I have no idea whatsoever why the heck they would throw such a fit over something like that. Oh, and I want to add: I don't mean to insult them by calling them computer illiterate. Most people around here, though, barely can get by with a computer (literally). I'm always helping people in computer classes with problems (most even the teacher doesn't know how to fix).

Anyway, I'm not mad because I couldn't get on the Internet, or use a computer, but I'm mad simply because I got kicked out for using Firefox. All my teachers have seen me use it before. None of them care if I use it, either. Except that ONE teacher. I don't see how she became a computer teacher in the first place!!! I wish there were some schools that at leas knew a LITTLE about computers around here. Anyway, my tennis coach is the technology expert of the school, so I'm going to try to get permission to use Firefox from him.

Wow that really sucks man... I know what you are talking about when you say that a lot of people at school are computer illiterate. Most of my teachers don't know anything about a computer, they only know the basics to a Mac (which I personally do not like). It does make me angry that for the most part the school computers are very restricted, new programs are almost impossible to get simply because the school doesn't want them on there. I asked one time why it was such a bad idea, they said it would "Slow the computer down, may have a virus on it, and the school's computers are supposed to be used for research/projects only and nothing more." Which I can understand, but a lot of the people at my school simply like using the computer and internet that is provided for them because they can't get it at home. Also most kids who are dumb enough (please excuse that if you are offended by it) to get a virus on the computer probably don't know how to download the programs in the first place.

But again, that really stinks and I hope that you get permission from your tennis couch.

-Jester

yea my school is all IE, and if you DL firefox, they just delete it off ur U drive. The computer network dude just searches for *BLEEP* on all the student's U drives all day. I once told him to get FF but hes like, oh i will eventually, but he keeps on deleting it. Somebody needs to tell him to f**k off our hd space...

If you guys and gals want better teachers, tell your parents to pony up more tax dollars to give teachers better salaries.Sorry, but the average teacher's salary just doesn't make the job worth taking. Sadly, teaching is often what people do when they run out of other options. Some teachers actually go out of their way to do it because they love the job, but you just don't find too many of them anymore.The whole situation stinks - for everybody. You guys and gals aren't getting the instruction that you want and need - and the teachers who actually care about their jobs aren't being fairly compensated. Everyone's getting the short end, but few people want to do anything to solve the problem.

Story is same in every school....My school too has one computer teacher and one technician, with a broadband connection. My teacher only knows about the MS Word, MS Paint, Power Point Presentation. In internet she only knows about the Google, she do not have any e-mail account.One good thing about my school computer lab is that in each class we have a extra time of 20 minutes for doing anything which we want. Pupils mainly like to play games online in disney and cartoon networks sites.But my school has to make a lot for improving their computer level to come with other school. ;)