xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Gillingham

Garbage Bags Embedded With Biodegrading Enzymes could an enzyme help with landfill toxins

We all know that the liquid that oozes from landfills is toxic. Also, we are learning that there are many enzymes that aid in the biological break-down of harmful chemicals. For example, enzymes are used when oil spills occur.Could a garbage bag be created that contains a variety of enzymes that assist in breaking down whatever harmful chemical they could?

I think there wouldn't be enough enzymatic activity in individual garbage bags unless you were to have a solution of them sloshing around inside (would make for interesting distribution/sales). Generally, spraying the landfill heaps with the enzyme solution (much like watering your lawn) would be better cost/result. Also, these enzymes often release methane gas or other gases. And even though we all want garbage and trash levels reduced, filling your kitchen with methane gas wouldn't be practical. Now, garbage bags that would be uses exclusively in the dump, that would enclose a dozen or so normal garbage bags, that contain an enzyme solution could be practical. Perhaps a bacteria that digests petroleum products would help with all the garbage bags too. :blink:I like your thinking, and I've seen bags with little lyson packets inside them to make them smell "better" so I'm sure they're on it! :thumbsup:

There's a big difference between making things smell better and dissolving them. Any decomposition process will have either harmful or malodorous gasses as a result, so as you said, this would only be practical for landfills, but even then, the pricess of such an endeavor would be astronomical, not to mention there's a lot of stuff in dumps that isn't biodegradeable.It's much better to just recycle, since that gets most of what you're talking about done on it's own, and as for organic waste, it will decompose on it's own over time, or one could make a compost heap or just throw it into one's garden.

Most of what is considered toxic from landfills isn't organic. most are heavy metal laden compounds such as mercury and cadmium. enzymes wouldn't do much because they typically work on large compounds and typically require a neutral enviroment to work effectively. neither of these are present in landfills. The compounds would have to be treated with some sort of inorganic compound that would make the material insoluble in water and fall out of solution where it could be collected and reused more effectively. another method for reducing toxic leakage in landfills doesn't do anything for the decomposition of the trash. they line each "cell" of garbage with thick heavy non-reactive plastic so that no water can escape or any other liquid for that matter. it is horrible because it deprives the decomposing bacteria of light and water but it does save the toxic leaks caused by inappropriate dumping.

Wow! That is actualy quite a good idea. But it would have to have some sort of way of making the enzymes not eating away at the garbage bag while it is inside someones home and still being filled. Perhaps we could just spread these enzymes over landfills since it would be much, much easier.

I'm guessing this will be more expensive to produce... and it's going to be made with the purpose of throwing it away... I can't seem to stomach buying something like that only to throw it away... <_< It's a bit too much, don't you think? It's not a bad idea, however... something less-disposable could be appropriate?