xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sharath

Is This Possible? Please Help

Is that possible to convert .exe files into its source code.B'cos i my source code has been got deleted while formating the system.But i have written the .exe in my CD.So can anyone help me please........ :angry:

Yes it is possible. You have 2 possibilities:1. Use hex-editor to edit directly the exe.2. Use disassembler to get asm code from the exe (hardcore way).Good luck. :angry:

Even with the possible solutions given by harad, the exact source codes may not be directly exposed. Using a hex-editor to view a exe file simply gives you weird codes which no one can understand and recognise except a computer. Using a disassembler can be possible however it depends on what programing language the exe file was programmed. Unfortunately if it is a .NET application, like VB.NET or J#.NET, you will most likely not be able to get back your source because the .NET engine is made to compile source codes which cannot be reverse engineered. If may still work for old programming languages.

Even with the possible solutions given by harad, the exact source codes may not be directly exposed.

Having reverse engineered my fair share of simple C programs I'll tell you right now that it's going to be a lot more work than it's worth. The source code's not going to be in the file pretty much regardless, and if you need to do anything more than find a few string litterals you're going to spend days, if not weeks tracing the code. It's probably much faster just to rewrite the code.

Even with the possible solutions given by harad, the exact source codes may not be directly exposed. Using a hex-editor to view a exe file simply gives you weird codes which no one can understand and recognise except a computer. Using a disassembler can be possible however it depends on what programing language the exe file was programmed. Unfortunately if it is a .NET application, like VB.NET or J#.NET, you will most likely not be able to get back your source because the .NET engine is made to compile source codes which cannot be reverse engineered. If may still work for old programming languages.

well that's not enterily true, to some extend it is possible to decompile/dissassemble .NET applications using IL Dissasembler and some other tools (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/).

I suppose it would be easier to decompile .NET applications than normal C++/C, because it doesn't encorporate it's runtime with exe's. I'm not a programmer, so i may be wrong.

This should work with some basic programs that are created... I'm not sure...I guess you could use reverse engineering. This is like trying to separate the layers for a picture created in photoshop... unless you have the PSD file, all you can do is slightly modify the picture. You won't be able to make the same PSD file again.