xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Spent The Whole Day On The Bus And Subway Sooooooooo boring

OK Here's my story of today. I needed to go to the orthodontist (G-d bless the fragile and annoying minds of the people who work there), which is a shlep and a half to get there, and my grandfater's office, which is in Midtown Manhattan. My dad leant me his Unlimited Ride MetroCard (see http://web.mta.info/metrocard/ for more on that), which I thought expired today (meaning that I could use it today), but found out that it expired yesterday while on the Q46, when I put it in the fare box, and got the low-toned beep, the red LED and some message telling me that it didn't work). So I used my MetroCard. The Q46 ride went smoothly, and I even got a recording of the ride (I'm known in the bus geek community for recording beses A LOT).
I got off at Francis Lewis Boulevard, and waited somewhere around 10 minutes for the Q76, which got me one block from the orthodontist, at Willets Point Boulevard (I could have gotten off the bus one block later, and been right in front of the building). I spent less than 10 minutes in the office, all they needed to do was adjust something.
So I waited for the Q76 back to Union Turnpike (which the Q46 runs on), and got one within 5 minutes or so. That ride took forever, just as the ride there did. When I got to union Turnpike, there were no buses in sight, so I waited (don't remember how long). Eventually, the Q46, destined for Queens Blvd. (where the subway station is) came, I managed to find a seat, and was boiling hot for most of the ride.
For the subway, I got the F train, which doesn't involve a transfer to get where I was going. I took that straight into Manhattan, got off at 34th street, and walked over to the office. I had chicken fingers for lunch at the reaturant Me@t Circa (really Meat at Circa; the brother of the dairy Circa across the street).
On the way back, I took the 6 and E tains to make it back into Queens. That ride also took the normal time (about 35-45 minutes). The Q46 home was waiting there for me (and it was even a hybrid, oh boy!). I ended up standing for the whole ride.

I'm sorry I posted this but I need to get my life stories out to someone. My main pooints here:
-Buses are slow[er than subways]
-Midtown and Whitestone are too far from ach other, and take forever to travel between.
Just remember: Hybrid buses rule!

The biggest town I ever recall living in had only about 1,000 people, so I cannot imagine not being able to walk to wherever it is I wish to go. I never suspected that going to an appointment and back could be such a chore/maze.

The biggest town I ever recall living in had only about 1,000 people, so I cannot imagine not being able to walk to wherever it is I wish to go. I never suspected that going to an appointment and back could be such a chore/maze.

Well, I didn't just go to the orthodontist, I also went to my grandfather's office in Manhattan to help him with something on the computer (he's not very computer literate). That adds a lot to the trip. Also, I ws describing the trip in great detail, I could have just wrote that I spent forever on the bus and subway and what routes/trains I took.

I actually thing staying at the bus or subway train for a long time is cool. I want to meet a lot of people and interact and communicate with them, and the best place to see different kind and type of persons is the subway. they always come and go and you will definitely someone interesting every minute. I also want to photograph moving people and subways and bus station are the best locarion for that, I want to photograph the buses and the trains whil moving as well.Although it may look boring at first, you just have to entertain yourself by looking at other people.

I actually thing staying at the bus or subway train for a long time is cool. I want to meet a lot of people and interact and communicate with them, and the best place to see different kind and type of persons is the subway. they always come and go and you will definitely someone interesting every minute.
I also want to photograph moving people and subways and bus station are the best locarion for that, I want to photograph the buses and the trains whil moving as well.

Although it may look boring at first, you just have to entertain yourself by looking at other people.

It seems that you have it backwards. In NYC, buses and subways are incredibly boring. I was just sitting on the bus and subway the whole time, not reading or even just listening to music. And I'm not really the very social type, I just like to get where I'm going without any unnecessary delays (including walking behind other people who walk incredibly slow, as has happened before).