xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
viterbi209

Problem Running Perl Scripts

Hi,I'm having problems running my perl scripts. My website returns a page that says Internal Server Error and in the error log it gives me:error: file has no execute permission:but I already set my perl scripts to all have permission 755. What else could it be? The scripts run fine when I host them on my own computer using IIS. Any suggestions?Thanks,Ed.

Permissions set to 755 let you read, write and execute, lets the public read and execute only. You don't tell use what the script does, so I can't say for sure, but chmod the permissions to 777 and see if that works. Use the File Manager in cpanel. Navigate to the directory which contains the files by clicking on the Icon beside the public html folder, then the Icon for the file. select the file by name, then select to change permissions. There will be a checkbox formatted frame show up. Click all of the checkboxes to increase the permissions to read 777. Also set the permissions for the directory to the same if the file permissions don\t work by themselves, then throttle them back to test if you are concerned about security, but max them out to start to get them running, first.Let us know if this works, please.So, what do the scripts do?And there are some pretty big differences between Windows and Apache servers, particularly concerning file permissions, so you can't compare how the two systems work or don't. We'll see if there is anything we can do to help.

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Hi,Its still not working...I tried changing the permissions with no luck and I'm also getting this error along with the other error: Premature end of script headers:i'm guessing this refers to the line (or I could be way off)print "(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-content-type:))))) text/htmlnn"; (thats a slash n slash n at the end...message board is removing the escape chars i guess)is there any other header information needed??the script essentially makes rest requests to ebay using the modules LWP and XML::XPATH

Edited by viterbi209 (see edit history)

Yes, the Forum doesn't like the backslash characters used by Perl and Php. and it even escapes single and double quotes in the shoutbox .(sometimes, I haven't figured out exactly when they do or don't like them)

Is that the code from the Perl script posted there? Or is there something being re-written by the Server? and maybe that's why the headers aren't complete and the error gets sent instead? Kinda hard without seeing the entire script, not that I am terribly familiar with Perl.

This looks similar to a portion of the header that might be missing:

print "(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-(anti-spam-content-type:)))))) text/htmlnn";

Trying to print out the content-type Header or something...

I'm going to suggest you post this problem in the Computer Programming section under the Scripting sub-forum.

Sorry I can't be any more assistance.

thanks for your response, yah that was the content-type i was trying to print...weird what happened there. Anways, I think i narrowed the problem down with some code manipulation. apparently its returning an error before it gets the the printing of the content type line and the error is returned when i try to use the XML::XPath modules. I'm guessing the modules aren't installed?? Do the admins help us install modules we need?

Yes. Contact the Helpdesk at : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to see what they can do to assist.
Failing that, a PM to Opaque may be in order, but give the Helpdesk a shot first to see if they are able to do anything for you. An alternate method of contact is by email to : support@Xisto - Web Hosting.com.
There is only so much we can do as Moderators. Server stuff isn't on the list, sorry.

*sigh...getting a little frustrated... contacted support and they sent me to technical at Xisto - Web Hosting.com... contacted them and haven't heard a response yet, its been 1 days and 10hrs already... then contacted opaque... no one is responding... 1+ day passed and no progress or status update. Simple ETA would be great...