xisto Community
jmb2006

Getting Proper Firewall

well its not a firewall exactly but it will be used as one, my grandad paid Ł500 for a custom built computer which will be used as file storage and a firewall. It has 2x250GB harddrives, AMD Athlon 3.2ghz 64bit, 1gb of RAM and the choice of os will be FreeBSD. Graphics will be a bit crap because me and a mate from school whos really into BSD will be setting it up from the command line. Anyway Me and my grandad have an IP address each from telewest, we have a router that is plugged into our modem with 3x100mbps ethernet ports and 2x10mbps ports, 1 100mbps port plugged into our modem, 1 into my grandads computer and 1 for my wireless router which i connected into with my laptop. Anyway basically i wanted to know if it would work setup like this:

See Diagram: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also has anyone already got anything like this setup?

Any type of software firewall should work for FreeBSD OS, provided they are made compatible to it. Look through the website where you got your FreeBSD OS from for suggestions of firewall software which you can use as well as your grandfather.

You may like to look through a list of security software tools here. Make sure you select those that are compatible to your configurations.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34146-free-security-software-list-antivirus-firewall-antispyware-gather-and-make-a-list-of-free-security-software-here/

for the file storage part i will be using ftp and my grandad will be using netbios sharing, i will set up samba for him. As for the firewall i think we may use iptables. And my mate has a copy of FreeBSD 64bit on disc.