xisto Community
mik

Foxit Pdf Reader For Windows a super alternative to Adobe Acrobat

I have searched the forum and no-one seems to have posted about Foxit thus far, it doesn't seem to be very well known.

Foxit Reader is small pdf reader, you can get at https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/ , it doesn't require installing, all you have to do is unzip the download file and away you go.
As an alternative to Adobe Acrobat, it offers two main advantages, namely it is much faster at opening files and reading them, and it occupies just 2 mb of disk space (as opposed to 35 mbs that Acrobat uses on my comp.).
It runs on any windows OS from 95 onwards.

One disadvantage, it won't open pdf files in your browser.

That said, I really like Foxit because it is so fast and light. I have always hated Acrobat because it is sluggish to say the least, I have not got the patience to wait for Acrobat while it winds itself up.

well i think i would stick with adobe reader...it's free too...and it does eveything already...so why use another program that just saves a little bit of space. 35 megs is nothing today's harddrives are tons of gigs. my favorite symphony is bigger than that. adobe acrobat takes only a second to load up. 1 full second. sure it's light for those space saving archiving freaks...but i don't want to install anymore unnecessary software

Well..I've used acrobad reader and now I am using Foxit reader and I think it is way better than acrobat reader.The best thing is that it provides similar interface..and opens up the files very fast! Now, 1 second will not make a good huge difference in my life..as my PC is already so fast that it wont take even that much time...but consider the situation..where in people are still using old slow PC'sand as one of my friend said..that 35 MB is not huge...but it is still if we can achieve the same thing..with a software which of just 2 MB.The point is not..which one is superior..the point is that a company like adobe..is providing a software with same functionality in 35 mb but a small company which has create foxit reader...is providing that in just 2 MB!And that's where foxit reader...takes the edge...in my opinion :angry:

I'll stick with Adobe Reader. It can also open up PDF files as fast as opening a text file (*.txt) in notepad too. I've moved some of the unwanted plugins away so it loads really fast. After all, it got to do with the plugin loading in Adobe Reader that makes it slower. Still Adobe Reader is the standard for PDF.

I used to use foxit reader but while it's pretty good at showing text it doesn't do a that good work with tons of graphics. I used to do a lot of corel draw stuff saved in pdf formats for portability and there were errors, sometimes big ones in foxit. Otherwise for one that is space constrained it could be good. But anyway, my files are bigger than 2 MB, what the heck, i have tenths of files and it's funny to look at the size of the software while many files are bigger than that.And, by the way, i've got almost half a terrabyte hdd storage :lol: , 35 MB?...fetch a magnifying glass overhere :lol:

I used to use foxit reader but while it's pretty good at showing text it doesn't do a that good work with tons of graphics. I used to do a lot of corel draw stuff saved in pdf formats for portability and there were errors, sometimes big ones in foxit. Otherwise for one that is space constrained it could be good. But anyway, my files are bigger than 2 MB, what the heck, i have tenths of files and it's funny to look at the size of the software while many files are bigger than that.And, by the way, i've got almost half a terrabyte hdd storage ;) , 35 MB?...fetch a magnifying glass overhere ;)

I've been usign Foxit PDF Reader for a couple of months now. I find it meets my needs. I really prefer it to Adobe Reader. I've actually stopped using Adobe software for all my PDF-ing!!! I use Nitro PDF Professional nitropdf.com instead for PDF creation and PDF editing.

Yeah i completely agree !!FOXIT reader has replaced Adobe Reader on my pc for the past one year .. My adobe acrobat reader was so too start up and whenever i wanted to open pdfs , it was an annoying experience for me. Then, i searched for a better, free pdf reader and came across Foxit. It really was wonderful, and still is. It opens pdf files in a fracion of a second. Very small in size too. We can download the setup in no time practically and get started with it.For those who hav not tried it, i think it is worth a try