xisto Community
Twulz

Where To Find Intro To Java Games? java Games...where to begin?

I'm interested in gradually making my own online Java games... but i don't know where to begin! I've downloaded the Java Kit thingo n use Netbeans IDE. I've got a OOP book and have learnt the outlines of C++ and I'm learning java from various tutorials on the net... but they're based on business-like applications, not game-creation. Any links/ideas or stories on how any of u guys learnt to make games?

Also, if Java isnt the ideal way 2 go for online Games... any suggestions?

Thnx a tonne in advance! :)

If you need some help with graphics, I made a tutorial on the basic graphic functions of Java: http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?shol=java+graphics

If you pester me enough, I might make one about double buffering. Double buffering is basically a way to make animation so that it isn't really blinky. If you try to repaint the entire screen without it, then the screen will flash and it won't look good.

Java's not always the best for online games, though. A lot of people use Flash. It just depends on how you use it, though. I made a copy (sort of) of Mario for a project for my Java class, and it turned out pretty well: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. It probably won't work because of a special Class that I used, but you can still look at the code. I have a fixed version somewhere but I'm not exactly sure where it is.

Edit: added last paragraph

Edited by beeseven (see edit history)